Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

help with carb tuning suggestions

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gasisontheright 
#1 ·
I have a 96 vulcan 800 im rehabbing. It was bone stock before I got to it, but had sat for several years. The only modifications I've made to the bike are removing the air silencer box that's located under the tank and I cut and wrapped the stock pipes at the cans to make open pipes. What changes to the jetting, air/fuel screw and slide needle would give me a good baseline tune? Has anyone ran a similar setup to mine?

#2 ·
You won't want to change the carb too much if leaving the factory air cleaner in tact. Google "the wolf's bike shop vulcan 800" and check it out. He has good advice on adjusting the A/F screw, removing the EPA stuff, or modding the whole intake. Take it as far as you want to go.

#5 ·
The bike was stock, but had been sitting for several years before I got it, so I never rode it prior. My last vulcan had the stock air cleaner and cut unknown aftermarket pipes, but it was jetted prior to me getting it. I put a washer under the needle and opened the screw 1 1/2 turns. I'll be starting it for the first time on gas this weekend as I've only tested it with starter fluid prior. Thank you Rick, that's exactly what I was looking for. I plan to do a scooterized intake shortly after I get it running and complete so ill put a larger jet in it then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.