Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

question about vulcan classic gears

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rick 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Vulcan classic 800, iam wandering how many gears I should have in tranny, it just seams I should have another gear, the engine winds high on long rides when going 50 or higher, thank you.

#3 ·
One down and 4 up. Its only a 5 speed.

The "searching for sixth" feeling is a common one.

A common mod is to re-gear by changing the front and rear sprockets to a lower final drive ratio. Stock sprockets in 2002 are 17T/42T, so you want to increase the front tooth count and decrease the rear. I use 19/40.

You will have a loss of throttle response and acceleration unless you do engine mods first.

#6 ·
I too run 17/38 just because my bike guy couldn't find a 18 front gear to match up with a 40. 17/38 and 18/40 are just about the same ratio and that should lower your rpm by about 400 at any given speed for any given gear. Made a much better hi-way ride, but as said you give up some acceleration.

#7 ·
My VN800A is from 1995 and stock was 16/46 (2,875) .... engine was revving like hell at 100 km/h.
Then I changed to 18/42 (2,33) and I love this combination. Don't want to go for even less ratio, because I feel a little loss of power ... it depends on what you want.

#9 ·
That air cleaner with butterflies is probably a hypercharger. Dont let the name fool you, its not a forced air device, but it does open up the air intake. Provided the bike was rejetted correctly, you should have no lack-of-power problems going to any of the lower final drive ratios mentioned here.

#10 ·
it is very fast, I thought they all came that way, it sounds like a race car, it cams so much, I was at a Kawasaki dealership yesterday and they couldn't believe what it sounded like, they said someone had put money in motor , I was even thinking about taking it ion spring and trading it on a bigger Vulcan. But don't know now after everyone telling me u can change gears.

#12 ·
Yes just check out that like Ron M posted. Rear sprocket is easy to find on amazon but most 18 and 19T fronts are not specifically made for the VN800. This 19T, from this website has fit mine perfect. You could just get that and have 19/42 or about 2.21:1 ratio. But for real highway use Id go smaller in the rear like a 38 or 39T.

Also, check the idle speed as it should be 1000 rpm or a little higher. If idling lower the oil pump has trouble keeping the cams lubed. It sounds great (and cammy) under 750 but you run the risk of seizure (ask rick) :).

#13 ·
Just did mine with a new 18 front and stock 42 rear, should have gone the extra mile and swapped out the 42 rear to a 40 but it is late in season and money was tight, I totally agree this is the best mod for highway cruising that can be done to our bikes, and loss in torque can be regained by an exhaust upgrade and re-jetting carbs. Just my 2c's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.