Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

petcock or carb

909 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  seth1001 
#1 ·
i have my tank off, and trouble shooting my running problem. bikes runs in prime but stalls out when set to run. is it my petcock or carb?
any DIY to test vacuum of petcock. I am going to take off top end of carb and check diaphragm seat and seal. Next i will check my petcock, and please gimme some suggestions or help. thanks

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing with a brand new petcock. I believe it was sitting in the warehouse too long and it's a little stiff. I would bet your petcock is the issue. It's got a small vacuum line on it that is supposed to activate the fuel flow in run. I wager the diaphragm in there that flexes to let the fuel flow is seized up. The one thing I would suggest is hooking up a separate hose to the vacuum port and actually suck on the other end, and see how much pressure it takes to open the petcock diaphragm. If it's alot or you can't make it work at all, it means your petcock is trash. If it works pretty easy then you have some other problem but I would strongly suspect the petcock is the problem. Hopefully you don't need to take your carb apart. I hate dealing with those things.

#3 ·
The problem was me!! Filled the tank after I took top end off carb and rebuilt the petcock. Then I had a few tall boys and thought, if it works in reserve then it should work in run. So the entire problem was the level of gas being low.
Noob mistake and alls good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.