Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Backfiring Issue: 2005 Vulcan Classic 800

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mikej440 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I just purchased an 05 Vulcan Classic 800 with 1035 miles on it. The bike rides great except that it backfires when I'm taking off in first gear and when I'm decelerating and downshifting. I was told that the way to prevent the backfiring and to add a bit of horsepower was to remove the EPA emissions mechanism and then cap off the hoses and the cylinders. Is this correct? Please send suggestions.

Mike J.

#3 ·
Hi marclem,

Yes, the bike is all stock. No mods at all. Previous owner says it never backfired when she or her son rode it. It's been sitting in a garage for the last couple of years. I was told that they only used premium gas in it, but I used regular once the tank ran empty. Could that be the issue?

#4 ·
Have an 05 myself, owned since new, always ran low octane fuel in it. I have more miles showing on mine, the 2nd time around. If you havent already, suggest a good cleaning of the carb. Next look for a hose that "T"s into both valve covers. Remove from covers and cap the nipples sticking out of the covers, this should eliminate all backfiring, if all else is in good order. Also check for leaks in the exhaust system, replace crush gaskets at the flanges where the bolt to the heads if not sure. This is were I've always found my popping to come from.

#5 ·
I would run some sea foam through it if it sat that long with gas in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.