Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New bike, new problems

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  usnvulcanrider 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Just bought a 1999 Vulcan Classic with 40k, for 2000$.as soon as I brought it home my wife noticed that my right turn signal wasn't working. That needs to be fixed asap. It's been in my garage maybe an hour so I haven't touched it yet when it comes to troubleshooting. Before I even start any ideas?

#4 ·
Graybush, I can see the bulb, because the lense is a little broken. It's not burnt out but I can try it. If it's not that, then what do you suggest? Btw, it's not the fuse, they are all good.
And no, not Pensacola, close to there though. East of Pensacola west of PCB.

#6 ·
Does the rear right blinker work correctly? If not, fixing that might solve the issue. If it works, there's only one other thing associated with the blinkers, which is the relay that sits next to your starter relay under the seat. That may need replacing. That's about all there is to the blinker system.

#8 ·
Don't start taking your bike apart just yet. That may be required, but first, humor me and check this if you haven't already.

The front turn signal bulbs should be dual filament bulbs. If so, and one filament goes bad, the bulb will still light up but have the fast flash. A single bad filament is hard to see unless you actually get the bulbs out and take a close look.

1157 (dual filament) bulb:

Give the bulb a close look and verify both filaments are intact. If unsure, swap left and right FRONT bulbs and see what happens.

#11 ·
Ok guys, since I got these first problems fixed I got another question. My vulcan is sitting a little over 40k miles. I have no idea of the mechanical history. What do you suggest I look at, or change out? Typical maintenance I should perform? I'm ready to get the iridium spark plugs, I've changed the oil and filter and cleaned the oil screen. I'll be changing the brake fluid this weekend. Any thing else you'd suggest?

#12 ·
Check the valve adjustments!!! A coolant change would be a good idea too along with checking all the hose too be sure they arent getting hard, should be firm but not hard, if the feel spongy, replace them. There are 5 coolant hoses plus the front brake hose. Check that your cables, 2 throttle, 1 clutch,and 1 rear brake. The rear brake cable has a tendency to freeze up and the rear brake become useless. As with the hoses, replace any cables you are not sure of so you dont have a failure out on the road.

#15 ·
Ok great. My bike is also having some low RPM problems. It seems like it cuts off for a split second, then kicks back on and kinda bucks forward. I'm assuming that's a carb issue on the low-jet side, because an engine wouldn't do that. I'm wondering the difficulty of rebuilding a carb on these bikes, and where I could buy a good carb rebuild kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.