lowering the 1700 voyager - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy lowering the 1700 voyager

My 1700 voyager has a 28.5" seat height. I have a 29.5" inseam. The bike weighs 900 lb.. I have my right leg missing below the knee. Stopping is sometime scary on uneven roads. As yet there is nolowering kit offered.
Is there anything I can do to solve my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Garage
If there is no lowering kit available maybe an aftermarket seat would be lower or you could have your stock seat shaved by an upholstery shop?
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM

All we have to do is find someone to be the Cavia porcellus (guinea pig) to find out if shorter progressive shocks will work.. If they do then I will definitely lower my classic with them.
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM

i know progressive has a 1 inch lowering kit for the 900's but i dont know about the 1700's
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Scootworks has lowering rear shocks 1-3/4" and 2-1/2".

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...D=PUT_SID_HERE

1700 Classic / Voyager / Nomad - Custom Rear Shock pack & hardware to lower approximately 1-3/4" - $299.95

1700 Classic/Voyager/Nomad - Custom Rear Shock pack & hardware to lower approximately 2-1/2" - $299.95
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM

I hear that the Corbin seat will lower it a bit
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Garage
Rocky-

I can tell you this...
I bought my '09 Voyager in Aug 2010, it was less than a year old when I bought it. The guy I bought it from sold it for the very reasons you are inquiring about.

He had the seat shaved and put progressive shocks on it to lower it a few inches. I would NOT recommend shaving the seat as its quite uncomfortable.

When I bought the bike I immediately put the original shocks back on and the progressives back in their box. After a trip I put a Mustang seat on, you probably want a Russell or a Corbin as they can be made to suit your need.

As for the progressive shocks, mine are for sale as I will never use them, these have about 1k miles on them. I think they were 300 I'd be happy w/ say 200 or so.

If that does not work for you, I can go out to may garage and at least get the P/N so you can hunt them down on your own.

Thunder Mfg. Airkit * D&D Exhaust * Dobeck GEN III EFI * Kuryakyn Longhorn Pegs * Saddlebag Guards * Nuvi 550 * Mustang Seat w Backrest * Irate Mesh Radiator Grill * HD Trunk Rack * Front fender guard rails * Polk Audio DXi 525's * Dunlop 407/408 Wide White Walls * Kuryakyn ISO Grips - Weights - Throttle Bosses * RacNRay's Throttle Mod * OEM CB Radio * EdSets Headseat/Mic * Exhaust Heat Wrapped Header * Faimm Air Horn * Brake Caliper Chrome * Rear Brake Res. Tank Chrome * HogTunes Amp

Last edited by dolitsky; 01-16-2011 at 05:55 PM.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM

I did the lower kit from scootworks as well. They send out a 12'' shock 412 series that I have since replaced with a progressive 12.5 " 430 series shock. I am very happy with this set up. After my long and time consuminig research I find this to be what I was looking for. Many are happy with the scootworks set up and I also have a complete kit available including spacers for the Voyager/Nomad if interested. Not even 100 miles on the shocks.

The bike will be easier to get off the side stand and the center of gravity for me felt right. I am now sitting in the bike rather than on top. Just be aware of 2-up riding. Set the shocks accordingly depending on weight and always include cargo as weight. This kit will drop the bike about 2''

I am 5'8'' 190 lbs 30'' inseam. I have a Mustang seat that changed my placement on the bike. About 2'' back which for me made a difference when putting my feet down. Idont take alot of stuff with me and my wife aprox 140lbs is only on the back a third of the time

My VV gets compliments on it's new stance and the ride to me is an improvement.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via Skype™ to tkerrigan
I did the 412's and raised the forks an inch, I reach the ground now and do be very cautious entering gas stations with sharp dips with high loads as I read about a guy that smeared his mufflers. No problems cornering.

2009 1700 Nomad two tone.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Shock Length ?

Does anyone know the stock shock length of the voyager?

2010 Voyager 1700
Red/Black ABS
Rear speaker
Yamaha rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode