2011 1700 Classic exhaust mod - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
2011 1700 Classic exhaust mod

So I decided to mod my 2011 1700 Classic stock exhaust. Took off the end caps and drilled 8 holes in each plate on the rear of the baffle that is about 6" inside the pipe. No real difference in sound level. I am thinking about trying to get the baffles out. Do I just use a hole saw to cut around the baffle pipe? I already cut the baffle pipe off flush with the plate 6" in so I can have clearance for the hole saw. Anything else I need to get ride of, or after I hit it with the hole saw do I just use a broom handle in the baffle pipe to break the welds free at the other end?

Sent from my LT28at using Motorcycle.com Free App
USMCVulcan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Vulcan Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 342
Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCVulcan View Post
So I decided to mod my 2011 1700 Classic stock exhaust. Took off the end caps and drilled 8 holes in each plate on the rear of the baffle that is about 6" inside the pipe. No real difference in sound level. I am thinking about trying to get the baffles out. Do I just use a hole saw to cut around the baffle pipe? I already cut the baffle pipe off flush with the plate 6" in so I can have clearance for the hole saw. Anything else I need to get ride of, or after I hit it with the hole saw do I just use a broom handle in the baffle pipe to break the welds free at the other end?

Sent from my LT28at using Motorcycle.com Free App
If you have a Classic, then you may be treading on "virgin" ground.

Most with Classics who have attempted a muffler mod have simply drilled out the centre discs with a hole saw (approx. 1 1/4" dia.). There are 3 discs: One plate a few inches in from the end, another 8"-12" further in, and one plate near the front of the muffler (you have to remove them to access this plate).

If the baffles are anything like those on the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero, they are very securely welded in place. They don't come out easily with the "hole saw and broom handle technique" that works on the 1600s.
Vulcan Hammer is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
If you have a Classic, then you may be treading on "virgin" ground.

Most with Classics who have attempted a muffler mod have simply drilled out the centre discs with a hole saw (approx. 1 1/4" dia.). There are 3 discs: One plate a few inches in from the end, another 8"-12" further in, and one plate near the front of the muffler (you have to remove them to access this plate).

If the baffles are anything like those on the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero, they are very securely welded in place. They don't come out easily with the "hole saw and broom handle technique" that works on the 1600s.
The center disc you are refering to...is that the "plate" inside the small baffle pipe? I haven't tried to get that one out yet. I may be in over my head, and might just run it like it is for now after taking that plate out while I save up some cash for aftermarket pipes. I guess I am not sure how I would cut the plates deeper in...
USMCVulcan is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Vulcan Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 342
Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCVulcan View Post
The center disc you are refering to...is that the "plate" inside the small baffle pipe? I haven't tried to get that one out yet. I may be in over my head, and might just run it like it is for now after taking that plate out while I save up some cash for aftermarket pipes. I guess I am not sure how I would cut the plates deeper in...
Yes, Drilling out the centre discs inside the baffle tube is the easiest approach with the Classic. Cosmetically and from a "sound" perspective, it is probably the most effective way to "debaffle" a Classic. It saves all the messy premliminary cutting that you have already done...sorry.

You would need a bi-metal hole saw approx. 1-1/4" diameter on an extension rod (both available from any large hardware or building supply store).
Vulcan Hammer is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Yes, Drilling out the centre discs inside the baffle tube is the easiest approach with the Classic. Cosmetically and from a "sound" perspective, it is probably the most effective way to "debaffle" a Classic. It saves all the messy premliminary cutting that you have already done...sorry.

You would need a bi-metal hole saw approx. 1-1/4" diameter on an extension rod (both available from any large hardware or building supply store).
Thanks. I skipped drilling out the center disc first because I read somewhere that it didn't have much of an effect. I will try that tonight. I have also read that some have put something inside the baffle pipe and hit it with a BFH to knock it out...may only be on the 900 (I believe they have just a screen). Drilling the 8 holes in each end cap gave me a little deeper tone, but to me doesn't sound any louder. A buddy at work told me he heard me pull up and he thought it sounded louder. Maybe drilling out the cebter disc will give me that little bit of extra volume I am looking for.

Last edited by USMCVulcan; 11-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
USMCVulcan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Vulcan Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 342
Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Drilling out the discs gets more volume, progressively as you remove each subsequent disc.
But some have said you lose the distinctive power pulses...ending up with just more volume.

I have left my Classic LT mufflers stock, and after 5,000 miles they seem louder and deeper.
Vulcan Hammer is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
I was going to leave everything stock until I save up some coin for aftermarkets...maybe after the Marine Corps Ball and the holidays. But I figured I would give it a try. Worst thing that could happen is I destroy the stock pipes and use that as an reason to beg the wife for replacements....improvise, adapt and overcome!!!!
USMCVulcan is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
Cut out the first disc about 5-6" inside the baffle pipe...a little louder maybe. I can't get to the next one in about 12"'s...don't have an extentiin to fit my hole saw. Just not sure if going any further would be worth it. Still has the thump. I may take it for a test ride and go from there.

Sent from my LT28at using Motorcycle.com Free App
USMCVulcan is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Member
 
Damo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mt Druitt, Sydney, Australia
Posts: 51
Mate its worth it, biiiig difference on my Nomad. Also take off the mufflers and take out the baffles on the engine side, should be one in each pipe on that side.
Not sure about you guys over there but in Aussie we have a CATALYTIC CONVERTER in each pipe, (honeycomb type material). I left them in.
Sounds great without being over the top loud and improved the performance.
As was said elswhere , LET THEM BREATHE.
Damo222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome