Urgent help needed!! - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
THE DEFECT IN THE WIRING HAS BEEN FOUND AND FIXED!! YAY!!

Thanks dolitsky and 1st One: for your posts... they were right on...

This is exactly what I found... once the tank was off, under good lighting (something I did not have while stranded in Canada) I found the BROWN wire (one of four wires coming out of the ignition housing) was frayed and had exposed wire that was shorting out on the fuel tank... this is the same thing that 1st One and dolitsky found on their 1700s...

in good light, it was very obvious and easy to fix with electrical tape, some heat shrink wrap and a plastic tube covering all four of the wires where they rub on the tank... Problem should be fixed now!! bike starts and runs, will be riding it around this afternoon to be sure all is OK!!

I will be starting another thread about this... EVERY 1700 OWNER NEEDS TO TAKE THEIR FUEL TANK OFF AND UNDER GOOD LIGHT, CHECK THESE WIRES THAT GO INTO THE IGNITION TOWER... ONE INSTANCE COULD BE BAD LUCK... TWO PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM IS THE START OF A TREND... AND NOW THREE PEOPLE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM THAT I KNOW OF.... THAT'S A WARRANTY/RECALL ISSUE IN MY BOOK. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN... EVERY 1700 OWNER ALL MODEL YEARS NEED TO CHECK THIS... IT COULD SAVE YOU A TON OF TROUBLE FAR FROM HOME!!... LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!

My bike had 23000 miles on it when this occured...
Silver, funny how things turn out. I was wondering about what happened recently with your situation because of you being stuck out in the boonies and having to get back in a different manner.

I have never trusted manufacturers or builders. I usually just get familiar with any vehicle or bike I own and look for problem areas (rubbing, shorting, fraying, clearance issues, etc.) based on past experiences. So I doubt Mr. Kawasaki is going to consider bad placement of wiring a recall issue covered by warranty. This happens in anything driven or flown so we just have to remain diligent. I am glad it worked out favorably for you.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
silverspurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Silver, funny how things turn out. I was wondering about what happened recently with your situation because of you being stuck out in the boonies and having to get back in a different manner.

I have never trusted manufacturers or builders. I usually just get familiar with any vehicle or bike I own and look for problem areas (rubbing, shorting, fraying, clearance issues, etc.) based on past experiences. So I doubt Mr. Kawasaki is going to consider bad placement of wiring a recall issue covered by warranty. This happens in anything driven or flown so we just have to remain diligent. I am glad it worked out favorably for you.
I agree, that folks should be checking periodically for wear, chaffing etc as a normal course of maintenance... stuff does wear out...

the reason this needs to be addressed by Kawi in my opinion, is that they ran a protective sleeve over these wires where they exit the ignition, this sleeve protects these wires... if they had extended that protective sleeve just a couple inches longer, this would not be happening... I believe that as people start accumulating mileage on their bikes, we are going to hear a lot more about this and I believe it is bad design on Kawi's part that could have been prevented with appropriate protection in what is an obvious wear area on this bike...

that's why I hope owners will post up their inspection results... if this is common on bikes with over 20000 miles, I believe Kawi needs to fix it with a retrofit...

Let's all try really hard not to say dumb stuff...

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
silverspurs is offline  
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
I agree, that folks should be checking periodically for wear, chaffing etc as a normal course of maintenance... stuff does wear out...

the reason this needs to be addressed by Kawi in my opinion, is that they ran a protective sleeve over these wires where they exit the ignition, this sleeve protects these wires... if they had extended that protective sleeve just a couple inches longer, this would not be happening... I believe that as people start accumulating mileage on their bikes, we are going to hear a lot more about this and I believe it is bad design on Kawi's part that could have been prevented with appropriate protection in what is an obvious wear area on this bike...

that's why I hope owners will post up their inspection results... if this is common on bikes with over 20000 miles, I believe Kawi needs to fix it with a retrofit...
Roger that, Silver! Hope you can successfully stick it to the MAN because I am tired of the little guys always getting the bad end of the deal.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline  
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Senior Member
 
TX1677095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Roger that, Silver! Hope you can successfully stick it to the MAN because I am tired of the little guys always getting the bad end of the deal.
Yeah, I'm sure those evil Ma Kaw engineers intentionally designed this into the VN1700 line and then shared their evil intentions with the Ma Kaw bean counters, all in an attempt to "stick it to" their customers.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
TX1677095 is offline  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
silverspurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure those evil Ma Kaw engineers intentionally designed this into the VN1700 line and then shared their evil intentions with the Ma Kaw bean counters, all in an attempt to "stick it to" their customers.
"sticking it to the man and stick it to their customers"... not my words, but if lots of bikes are having this issue, Kawi needs to provide a fix/retrofit for it... that's all I'm after... actually, I'm not even after that, I sold mine today...
did you check yours?? hope it's ok...

if this happens to you, it will stop you dead... you go nowhere until it's fixed, no matter how far from home you may be...

Let's all try really hard not to say dumb stuff...

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685

Last edited by silverspurs; 12-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.
silverspurs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome