Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Help!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  aWanderer 
#1 · (Edited)
Help! - My new Vaquero

Anyone have pictures of the Kawasaki OEM quick release backrest that has been modified/raised up?

I want to get the Mustang seat with driver backrest and the Kawasaki passenger backrest w/rack but it is to low for the wife. Can it be raised? Pictures please?

Thank you. The fate of the Vaquero purchase is in your fingers here.

#2 ·
To late. Bought the bike. A brand new 2016 Vaquero (white) off the showroom floor. Immediate changes are:

1. Mustang seat w/rider backrest
2. OEM a Quick Release backrest for the passenger. Will drill new holes and raise it another 2-4"
3. OEM passenger floorboards
4. Taller windshield so I can smoke/drink while riding
5. Luggage rack for the back

That's it for now. Will pick it up next week!

Need to find some soft luggage that resembles a trunk to mount on the rack for long trips.

Also, will grab the cable so I can plugin my iPhone. May just dedicate an old unused iPhone 4S for this.

#4 · (Edited)
Picked up the Vaquero yesterday and what a dream to ride. First time I have ever had a cruiser. Sport bikes all my life but to old to ride them now. This bike absorbs everything. Rides better than my Cadillac!

Anyway, I picked it up at E & S Motorcycles out of town about 20 miles. When I got home, the oil light was on. I called them and they said that the oil likely had circulated through the engine and needs a bit of top-up. I asked if they had a taller windshield in stock, which they did so I rode back out there and they topped up the oil and installed the taller windshield. What a difference. It's the Kawasaki, medium height?, windshield. Prior to putting it on, I could not hear the stereo at all. I hear it a LOT better now.

I have the Mustang seat (rider backrest only), OEM backrest, rack and passenger floorboards on the way. All should be in-hand next week. One thing I noticed immediately is that my 2014 Concours (sold a couple weeks ago) had SO much power, this Vaquero feels seriously underpowered but that's fine with me as I just want to ride in comfort.

Here is the pictures of the first day...

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Nice !! Looking forward to seeing it with the new parts on it !! You will love it more each time you ride it. I put mirror extenders, an air horn, long horn road pegs, Vance and Hines slipons, Ram mount for my cell, a Mustang seat, and last but not least IVAN'S FLASH on the ECU on my Voyager ... you will definitely want to do that before you are done

#7 ·
Thanks all. You are right... the more I ride it the more I love it. Put 500KM (311 miles) on it this weekend. The wife was not comfortable at all on the back but she's a trooper. Can't wait to get those parts on it this week for her comfort. 500 is a LOT for me compared to the Concours.

On a good weekend, I'd be lucky to put 100 on the Concours because of my back and if I did, at times I had to take Monday off work to recoup. After the 500 on the Vaquero, I felt like I could easily do another 300+ Once the backrest is on, OMG!

#8 ·
I received the new Mustang seat. It has resolved a lot of my passenger issues. More room than before. Much more comfortable for the passenger but I have to say, the stock seat was way softer and more comfortable than the Mustang seat when it comes to the driver. I’m sure it could be rectified with more aftermarket pads and such. the driver backrest is awesome. I’m pretty sure I can empty a tank without stopping now but my butt would be a bit numb because the seat is so hard.

Kawasaki dropped the ball here or missed on an apportunity. If they had just made a seat that accommodated a passenger AND allowed for a driver backrest, the whole package would be perfect. Instead, I’m spending over $2,000 on a seat configuration to accommodate me and a passenger. I know, “it’s called a Voyager” but then I’d have to spend thousands making the trunk disappear on demand.

Headed to the dealer today for the first service and to have the quick release backrest installed. It’s been 2 weeks and we already have over 1000km on her. Once the rack arrives and I get he backrest pad raised about 3 or 4 inches it should all be complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.