Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

IVAN's ECU Flash Upgrade

34K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  TiLou 
#1 ·
I do not know if anyone of you know this but I just sent my ECU in for IVAN's Flash upgrade, I had this done before and loved it, but now he has a 2.0 upgrade to that ECU fix....

So the old flash is like having a "new girlfriend in the ole wife's body", I cannot wait to see if this is like "Girlfriend 2.0" in the the ole wife's body again.

It should be back on Thursday of this week and then installed, ready for riding on this long weekend. More to come as soon as I test it.

IVAN's shop did say it was upgrades to the throttle and performance, we shall see.

Robert :nerd:

#2 ·
How does the flash affect fuel consumption?

#3 ·
Mine has been done for a while and my mileage went up, I live on the BlueRidge Parkway in VA and we travel this road alot, even our trip to the Beach I was getting 44.3 miles a gallon with one up riding and loaded with stuff.... It has been a perfect marriage of Flashed ECU and performance, that is why I have sent it back to IVAN for the upgrade, no cost other then shipping if you have already had a flash done (Upgrades are for free)

#5 ·
I run premium fuel now. My owners manual says to use a minimum of 90 octane.

#8 ·
OK, here is the update on the IVAN patch,

1) The throttle response is much better, I was amazed how well it performed
2) Pickup seemed better and my gas mileage went up to 44.3 today with 110 miles under my belt with the new upgrade.
3) I shifted less on hills and no pinging the whole day with mid grade or Premium, but will stay with Premium anyway.
4) Ivan must have done a few other things since it felt better then the first flash and the engine seems to perform better.

This is what I did:
I changed the oil to Rotella T6 and put in the Lucas oil additive with 4 ounces of Sea Foam also and installed a new K&N air filter.
the engine ran cooler, the engine noise went away the only thing I heard was a slight whine when revving it up and letting her settle down again.
Note - remember this is not the first flash on my ECU that was done already this was the UPDATE I sent it back for and it is well worth it. (No cost other than shipping)

Overall - well worth the updated flash and I did notice more pulling power, less down shifting and a lot better throttle response. I ran mid grade with no pings and then went to Premium next and the performance seemed the same...

so there you have it,

Thanks for looking
Robert

#9 ·
Hey,
How do you know what version of flash you have? When did this update come out? I just bought my bike the 1st of April this year and had the Ivan flash done as soon as I got the bike. Runs great but nothing to compare it too. I think I have the updated version as they said on Ivans website they would inform you if updates were available.

#12 ·
Hi Guys,

In my quest for the best for everyone, I have made a few updates to my ECU programming for this bike.

This is available to everyone who has purchased my flash and is free of charge except for the shipping.

The version that you have is engraved on the back side of your ecu.
The new versions will end with the following digits:

59C - or - 59C_BAK

The newer version has a lot of tweaks that effect driveability and sensitivity to fuel quality... overall it's worth doing when you have the time.

I will not get into specifics in an open forum.

If you have questions, please call on the phone during business hours... I don't have a lot of time to spend answering questions here. But, I'm always available during the day at work and I'm happy to answer your questions in person.

Thanks very much to everyone,

Ivan
This is from another forum, but this is how you can tell.

#16 ·
Hello folks...

Went to NJ for the long weekend to visit family, and since they are about 30min from Ivan's shop, I took my ECU with me to get the new update.
Came back last night, put it back on the bike, and rode it today morning to work...

When I got the ECU Ivanized last year, I thought... WOW, this is it, it can't get any better than that...
Well, I guess I was wrong... it can and it did.
Holy smokes... this update is just freaking awesome... This is how this bike should've been from the beginning :)

Ivan, as usual, was super cool and friendly... It took him just few minutes to flash the update.
I even asked if I will be coming next year for another update :) He said that there is probably not much more performance he can squeeze out if this ECU :)

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with the new updated ECU...
I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone who rides this bike.

Have a good one, and ride safe :)

Reactions: Dwarven1
#20 ·
First, I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but couldn't fins an answer so here goes:
I own the EU/Sweden spec VN900 (2009) as you may or may not know, it comes with O2 sensors in the exhaust. Also if you look at parts# the US ECU and "mine" have different parts#. Is there anything else besides the O2-sensors that differ? A Yamaha dealer mechanic warned me that flashing a EU-ECU with US firmware might brick the ECU/Bike rendering it useless. anyone know?
I am also getting conflicting info re. the flash, some say it's "generic" it doesn't matter what intake/exhaust config you're running, you get the same map/mods. Some say you have to be specific about how your bike is set up, like mine has Vance and Hines Twin slash staggereds and i am planning to get a Baron's XxX kit soon. Now, the exhaust alone shpuldn't be too much of a fuss for the ECU, but the intake is said to make a (compareatively) huge difference. I know from experience with carburetted bikes that you can get away with replacing the exhaust without rejetting, but even a K&N in stock airbox affect performance negatively unless you rejet. I tried just for the hell of it on my VL800, but it sneezed and coughed with K&N/stock jetting.. *
My point is, it would surprise me if the same flash suits a VN900 running stock everything AND one that has free flowing exhaust and a hypercharger or similar big capacity intake..

#23 ·
Thank you for your input!
I got the bright idea to search for Ivan's Facebook page, and got hold of him via that.
Unfortunately it's a no go for me. Wiring harness/ECU is different (that would put a stop to fitting a US spec ECU on the bike as well.
Apparently the Yamaha guy knows his sh...tuff :)

#25 ·
I am a recent comer to the Ivan flash crowd. Not being much of a wrench I took the time to look into the how to's before going ahead with it. Once I got the ECU out of the bike and having taken photos along the way to be sure I knew where everything went Off it went. It was when I got it back that an added surprise (I hate surprises) was in the works; the 02 sensor had to be disconnected. After much ado in trying to find where it was located and then how to get at it the deed was done.
Now, due to the fun I had and the moments of brain farting that went with it I included the step by step how to on my web page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.