2016 Vulcan Voyager 1700 Advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan Custom Classic FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Red
2016 Vulcan Voyager 1700 Advice

I am looking for some advice on a purchase of a new 2016 Vulcan Voyager 1700. A little background. I have a 2000 Vulcan 1500 Custom Classic FI, and it is time to move up to a full dresser bike. I have had the 1500 since 2005 and have enjoyed it.

The wife and I would like to make some weekend trips and without a tour pack, more comfortable seating for her, and a sixth gear, it's not going to happen. I make a couple of decent yearly trips, approximately 1,500 miles with a few friends and they own Harley's and an Indian Roadmaster. All nice bikes, really like the Indian.

Have always taken some ribbing for my Vulcan. I'm good as it cost me under $5K, and while it does not have all the bells and whistles, It keeps up with them just fine. I would like to continue the tradition and roll up in a new Vulcan.

OK, so there are some good deals out there now, and I have a few questions. My main concerns are heat and lack of heated grips and heated seat. Heat is the most pressing issue. Will I be able to handle the heat the engine puts out without taking measures to combat it? Does the KAMS system work well enough? Should I use Ivan's ECU programming change to help with it or wait for maybe for new pipes?

There seems to plenty of heated grips available on the aftermarket. Corbin has a heated seat. So I have options, just don't know if I like the Corbin style (harder) seat. I have a Musting seat on my current bike a like it.

Since there are not a lot of these bikes out there or 2017 demo bikes available, I will not be able to take an extended test drive. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot here. If I pull the trigger, I hope I like it on a long haul.

Finally, which windshield size do you have? I do not like to look through the windshield when I ride. I know there is a 14" and 12" available. I think the 14" maybe too tall as well. I am 5'-11" tall with a 31" inseam.

Thanks in advance for you reading this long post and your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 AM

So, I've got a 2016 Vaquero... not quite the same thing, but it may still be applicable.

I installed a harness for heated gloves - FirstGear. I like them a lot. I used them down to 25 degrees, and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were nice and warm.

Heat the engine puts off? It's bearable. I suggest highway pegs to get your legs out of the vortex of hot air. Lower covers are bad above 70 degrees, great at anything under that.

I find that the Vaquero seat (different from the Voyager seat) gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. The Corbin I have is really nice, and I like it, but it is too much of a stretch for me to reach the handlebars, which leads to back pain. I'll be installing pullback risers to fix that

Windshield! I have the 12" Klockwerks recurve screen on my Vaq. It's *phenomenal*! I can't recommend it enough. It's just tall enough to create a great bubble of calm wind for me, but I can still see over it.

Good luck!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hello LaskoFan,

I thought we might be co-workers till I read your introduction thread.
Beautiful country up near West Chester.

The KAMS system works great. EVERY big combustion engine is gonna put out heat, the KAMS really does it's job though. I don't think you'll need to anything else but if you decide to wrap the header with exhaust wrap and you'll barely notice a difference from left side to right.
I would use a good 10W-40 full synthetic oil in the summer and not worry about pipes or Ivans. Unless you're looking for sound.

The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off your hands. I ride into the low 30s and only used winter gloves for my 20 minute commute. Longer trips in those temps will require something more; but I don't go out for long rides when it's below 40 so I can't help you there.

The Voyager is a great bike and a good value. As long as you evaluate it based on what it does and not what other people think; you'll be happy with the bike.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
Garage
One thing about Ivan's ECU is that he lowers the temp for the fan to kick on. Factory temp for fan is 220, but Ivan sets it at 180.

2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Ivan's ECU ~ Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs ~ Chucksters Risers ~ Grasshopper Backrest ~ Dual Horns ~ 34024-1130 Kickstand ~ Kawi Gel Front Seat

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold after 15k miles
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
So, I've got a 2016 Vaquero... not quite the same thing, but it may still be applicable.

I installed a harness for heated gloves - FirstGear. I like them a lot. I used them down to 25 degrees, and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were nice and warm.

Heat the engine puts off? It's bearable. I suggest highway pegs to get your legs out of the vortex of hot air. Lower covers are bad above 70 degrees, great at anything under that.

I find that the Vaquero seat (different from the Voyager seat) gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. The Corbin I have is really nice, and I like it, but it is too much of a stretch for me to reach the handlebars, which leads to back pain. I'll be installing pullback risers to fix that

Windshield! I have the 12" Klockwerks recurve screen on my Vaq. It's *phenomenal*! I can't recommend it enough. It's just tall enough to create a great bubble of calm wind for me, but I can still see over it.

Good luck!

-John
I really like the recurve screens. My buddy has one on his Indian and he, like you, can't say enough about it. Will be looking to get one if I pull the trigger on the bike. Are you saying the lower covers make it too hot when the temperature is above 70? Even with the cam flap open to allow air to pass through them?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Top Contributor

I would get the Ivans ECU flash and then look at a Rifle shield. I have 14" and it's just right for my chubby 5'10" self...
I believe you can get heated seats from Ultimate... Just have to talk to them...

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Hello LaskoFan,

I thought we might be co-workers till I read your introduction thread.
Beautiful country up near West Chester.

The KAMS system works great. EVERY big combustion engine is gonna put out heat, the KAMS really does it's job though. I don't think you'll need to anything else but if you decide to wrap the header with exhaust wrap and you'll barely notice a difference from left side to right.
I would use a good 10W-40 full synthetic oil in the summer and not worry about pipes or Ivans. Unless you're looking for sound.

The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off your hands. I ride into the low 30s and only used winter gloves for my 20 minute commute. Longer trips in those temps will require something more; but I don't go out for long rides when it's below 40 so I can't help you there.

The Voyager is a great bike and a good value. As long as you evaluate it based on what it does and not what other people think; you'll be happy with the bike.

Scott
Thanks for your input. If I get the bike I will take my time in order to change things. I want to make sure what I need and how it performs prior changing things up. I have a 1500 Vulcan today but no fairing so I really do not feel the heat like I assume I will with the newer bike. It will be interesting to feel how hot it gets and what my wife and I can take.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_welder2000 View Post
One thing about Ivan's ECU is that he lowers the temp for the fan to kick on. Factory temp for fan is 220, but Ivan sets it at 180.
I read that and looks like a good idea. Even a manual toggle switch for it may work as well. I am a little concerned with flashing the ECU in the warranty period. I would assume it would void the warranty. Do you know of this is the case?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
I have a 2011 Nomad which is the same bike without the fairing and trunk (though I've now got the trunk kit, which is essentially the Voyager trunk). I've also got Ivan's flash, and a few other do dads. The seat on the Nomad is the same as the Voyager, and I find it very comfortable for all day trips. I've heard others say its a good seat "for a stock seat." All I have to compare it to is the seat on my 900, and this is wayyyy more comfortable than the 900 stock seat. Sixth gear and cruise control are great on the freeway. I find the bike very comfortable. I've seen some complain about the suspension, but to me, with the air shocks set right, it rides like a cadillac. It does give off heat, and I would think the Voyagers before the KAMS would have been worse due to the lower fairing. It's not too much for me, and the flash reduced it a bit (by my butt thermometer). Sounds like KAMS works.

I think these bikes are great deals. I bought mine as a new leftover in 2015 (yes, a brand new four year old bike) for a very good deal. I like my Nomad so much, that if it went away today, I'd buy a Voyager tomorrow. The only upgrade would be the fairing. I'd think about an Ultra, but I don't see the value for the $$ like the Voyager.

Just my opinion.

Happy and Safe Riding,
Dan
revrider likes this.

2011 Nomad: Black & Metallic Gray, Chuckster's Light Bar, Custom Dynamics Stingerz LEDs with Magic Strobes, Rac'nRay's Throttle Mod, Homemade Oversize Lowers, Luggage Rack, Ivan's Flash

Past:
2014 Classic 900 LT: (Sold to a happy buyer)
1975 Suzuki GT 185 (Great little twin)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaskoFan View Post
I really like the recurve screens. My buddy has one on his Indian and he, like you, can't say enough about it. Will be looking to get one if I pull the trigger on the bike. Are you saying the lower covers make it too hot when the temperature is above 70? Even with the cam flap open to allow air to pass through them?
Definitely get the recurve windshield!

As for the lowers, I have the leather sagebrush ones which clip and snap on. Anything over 70 degrees is way hot. Realistically, anything over 65 starts getting warm.

I don't have a cam flap on those leather suckers, but they're easy enough to put on and remove. I left 'em on for the whole winter, since my bike didn't sit more than a couple of weeks at a time

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode