Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

GPS Mount

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Sabre-t 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good GPS mount for a Garmin NUVI 550 GPS. I'm looking for it to mount in the center of the handle bars if possible. The only ones I can find are RAM mounts, u-bolt mounts or rubber strap mounts. I'm looking for something a little better.

#2 ·
I've seen some mounts for specific items that are arguably better than RAM mounts, but for a generic GPS, or even specific to your Garmin, I don't know that you will find better than RAM.

Maybe a Kury Tech-Connect mount, but I don't think they are any better than RAM mounts, just more expensive and a different look.

#11 ·
I took some pics of my GPS to show how it affects seeing the dash. Since this thread started, I have switched to a TomTom Rider 400, so I no longer use the Aquabox. The TomTom is on a u-bolt RAM mount, with a 6" extension. I also have the GlareStomper that I mentioned in a previous post attached. I took the pics with the phone camera right at my eye level, so you see what I see. One is with the GPS in normal position, one with it rotated for a better look-ahead view when in the twisties, and one shows the clearance that is still between the key and the bottom of the RAM extension. The last pic is to show that it could be pushed down even more for seeing the dash. BTW, I'm 6'3" tall to help you judge what my eye level would be compared to yours.

Hope this helps.

(Sorry, for some reason it rotated my pics when I uploaded them.)

Vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Technology Headlamp

Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Vehicle Motorcycle

Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

#4 ·
You can get short clamps for a RAM mount. https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composite-Double-Socket-1-Inch/dp/B005KWPJ04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490477632&sr=8-1&keywords=RAM+mount Even with a longer clamp than this, you can use the ball to lower the device to that you can see everything on the dash. I have the long clamp with my GPS in an AquaBox tilted up so I can see the screen better. It only obscures the radio display and I can easily see around it if I need to. Since that is not critical to see while moving, at least not for me, I don't have a problem with it.

#5 ·
I have the RAM clamp on mount in the middle of the bar with the short arm for my NUVI 500. Sits right below the radio display and does not interfere with anything.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Oh yeah, you could probably get away with the 4" extension, but I think the shortest 2" one which would result in the GPS power part of the mount to be closer to the key, would force the GPS to be pushed up higher actually resulting in the radio being obscured more than with the longer extensions.

#16 ·
NEVER! War Eagle! :wink2:

Reactions: jventers
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.