Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Chucksters Big Air Kit - Do I need Fuel Management?

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Nomad_tattooer 
#1 ·
Can't seem to find an answer.

Stock exhaust, no other engine mods.

Cheers

#11 ·
I have stock pipes (undrilled) and added Chucksters BAK and a Dobeck EJK. With the BAK installed and testing the EJK set in pass-through mode (essentially acting as if it weren't there) the bike ran way too lean and very poorly, so yes, you will need some sort of fuel manager with a BAK.

The flip side, the re-flash (or a fuel controller) can only add so much performance without a BAK due to the restricted OEM air flow. It will optimize the air/fuel ratio for the air that is available, and cool the engine some, but the benefits are limited and probably not worth the cost. Someone who has the re-flash on a stock bike will have to tell you if it is worthwhile or not. Racnray's throttle mode (I have that, too, but I sort of got it for free) would be a more cost effective mod for a stock bike, IMO.

Personally, I am very happy with the EJK. I got it before I heard about Ivan, and can't justify spending still more money on the re-flash. Knowing what I know now, I am not sure if I would pay the extra for the re-flash or not if I was starting from scratch. That said, I have not experienced the re-flash, so it may do more than I think it does for improving performance.

#4 ·
I don't know if the 2009's have the same issues as the 2015's but Ivan's flash made me happy I bought a 1700. The drivability is vastly improved, vastly. The power comes on much faster and a bit smoother. It even runs a bit cooler.

I've owned several bikes over the past 40 years and the Voyager was the first one that wasn't fun to go rip thru the gears. Ivan's flash fixed that, cause it's a blast to go rip thru the gears now. It's no muscle bike but the sluggishness is gone and it'll happily hit red line with a normal twist of the throttle.

I recommend contacting Ivan or somebody with a 2009 see if the improvements are the same for all years. If I had to choose one or the other I'd take the flash because of all the issues it fixes.
This may make your decision more difficult but... There are 2 different flashs for the 1700's. One covers all stock bikes and bikes with slip-on exhaust and a high flow air filter (filter only NOT an air kit). Second one covers bikes with an air kit and either stock or aftermarket exhaust.

Lots of good info on Ivan's site. Ivan's Performance Products

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.