Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gas mileage

8K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  rurocking 
#1 ·
Curious what kind of mileage others are getting , My 09 1700 Classic LT is getting 30-34. It has a power commander and Cobra pipes. Seems it should do a little better?

#2 ·
According to other owners those figures are about right, and perhaps even a little better. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/185201-fuel-economy.html

It is surprising that cars with about that displacement or more and weighing much more can get as much as or even better mileage. A friend with a VW Beetle 2.0 diesel gets 52 mpg, better than even my VN900 at about 48-50 mpg, and my Hyundai Elantra GT got 33 mpg after 10% ethanol gas was mandated in Oregon.

#3 · (Edited)
when you talk about the VW TDI Diesel yes they are amazing in mileage. 1150 plus on a tankful of diesel. Not only is the engine amazing but the build of the car is amazing also so much different in fit in finish to other cars of the same class. I have a passat and will probably be giving it up due to the outstanding by back offer here in Canada so good I can not refuse the offer. I will miss my diesel that is for sure. Will not be buying another as I am now retired and put a small amount of mileage on a car I can do with a much less expensive car from here on in. I either put more mileage on my bike and trailer or flying to destinations and renting a car.

#5 · (Edited)
I get a consistent 320 km per tank which is approx 200 US miles. This works out to 37.8 MPG which I am more than happy with. The majority of my riding is done in 6th running at around 70 mph. It seems to get the best mileage in that range and about 26-2800 rpm.

#6 ·
Diesel and Gas ? Dont compare apples and tomatos. Milan will getan netter When broken in after 10 Kmls.

Cu,
Sven

#8 ·
I had some gas mileage issues with a couple Power Commander maps I played with. I got close to 30 MPG with one of them. Adding too much fuel in the cruise sections of the power curve can really cut your mileage. I've gone with Ivan's flash now and the Commanders are set to zero on both the Classic 1700 and Voyager 1700.

With one heavy single rider (350 lbs) and light baggage (about 1/4 full), I get 41 to 42 MPG normal riding. That would be with very little interstate and per the speedo cluster. Checking mileage using actual fuel use and my GPS (rather than the speedo) I calculate about 38 to 39 MPG. I run Michelin Commander II size rear tires on both bikes.

As for total miles driven per fuel per tank, I only go about 150 miles per tank. Not because of mileage, but because I don't fill too the top. In California there's a different fuel tank set-up and you're not supposed to fill the tank close to the top. I've seen a California version Vaquero leaking fuel from the canister when they topped off their fuel, so I stay away from an overfull tank.

#9 ·
On my 9 I get 40-45 mpg. Which is great in my opinion. I tend to have a heavy hand.:devil2:

#10 ·
I have a Vaquero, the mileage depends on how I ride mostly. I got 50mpg riding at 50-55Mph in some back roads (200 miles with 4 gallons). But in the highway riding at 80mph I get about 36mpg, that's a huge difference. I also get about 30-34mpg doing city (stop and go). And this speed is by reading the GPS, the speedometer is not accurate. When it says 80 I'm actually doing 75.

#14 ·
I got 36.9 mpg today, mostly highway, from 55 to 75 but some in town driving too. I rode 166 miles and put in 4.5 gallons. The gas light came on a few miles prior to filling up.

#15 ·
I was getting about 40-41 with my 2013 but recently it seems to have dropped to 35-36. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't explain why it dropped. I ride 40 miles one-way to work, at about 60-80 mph most of the way (slow stop and go traffic going home is a couple places).

#16 ·
42 mpg seems high, i would say 34 mpg is about normal

#17 ·
I would say check tires pressure, air filter and spark plugs. But I believe this is the first think the dealer checked. How many miles does the bike has? Are you getting the mileage "old fashion" (calculating) or by the dashboard? In my case the dashboard is accurate only when I do highway with no many stops. Stopping and going gets very inaccurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.