Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

The end of Victory and how it could effect Vulcan

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 · (Edited)
I was a bit shocked and disappointed to learn that Polaris was writing the final chapter for Victory motorcycles this week. Don't get me wrong I love my 09 Vulcan Nomad and have enjoyed it for 7 years and over 60,000 miles now but I will be looking for my next bike in another year or so and I am hoping Kawasaki will have a updated touring cruiser (a Vulcan 1800 if you will) by then but honestly with the demise of another competitor in the market I am not optimistic that will be happening anytime soon. Now that Kawasaki offers the only full sized touring cruiser for under $20,000 it essentially has no peers within it's price range and IMO gives Kawi even less motivation to do some much needed updates/refinements to the 1700 line which is unfortunate cause I will probably be buying my first bike that isn't a Kawasaki if that is the case.

#2 ·
Losing Victory and the pressure that an American motorcycle company put on the market does suck.

But, unless you're talking about full dressers; lots of mfgs have full sized touring cruisers on the market for under $20k.
And some of them are arguably a much better value for the dollar than the Kawi's.

Suzuki has the Boulevard C90T, Yamaha has the V-star 1300 Deluxe (for $15k you get a fairing, blutooth and navigation)

My favorites are from Triumph. The Thunderbird is a twin if that's the kind of powerplant you like and the Rocket III Touring is more comfortable than the Road King and faster than the V-rod.
Both priced under $20k at $17k & $17.5k respectively.

Heck even the boutique brand has the Road King starting at $18,900.

#4 ·
So I went to each mfg's web site on the bikes you listed, and the only one which I really count as a dresser is the Yammy. At $15,500 starting price, it ain't bad, and while it's got nav and a slightly lower price, the Kawi Vaq or Voyager beats it in all other categories. :)

Engine, power, saddlebag size, instrumentation and fairing, all in the Kawi's favor.

Despite its less-refined bits and lack of updates (other than new colors each year), the Kawi is a solid value proposal.

Yes, I'm somewhat biased, since I really like my Vaq.

-John

#7 ·
By full sized touring cruiser I was referring to at least bags & fairing with a 1500 cc motor or higher. Sorry I probably should have been more specific.

Yeah I like the Thunderbirds too. Would be great if Triumph did a dresser.

#15 ·
Yes Polaris owns both brands. While the decision to cut Victory in favor of focusing on their more popular Indian brand makes some logical sense. I am hoping that this doesn't mean the end of Value and Performance oriented full sized American cruisers.

The Voyager is a solid bike and a great value for the $ but I guess I don't want to buy what is essentially the same bike I did 7 years ago.

#20 ·
Hi guys, I am a former Nomad owner. I traded my 2010 last fall for a R3T. The Triumph takes me back to my Valkyrie days. I got a new in the box 2015 for $13800 minus my trade. I hear what you're saying about a fairing. I'm gonna swap for a Clearview shield for more protection. Other than highway pegs, that's it. Build quality is awesome. Very little plastic. This thing could climb a tree in fifth gear! I have no interest in attempting to match the power of the Roadster.
I am so looking forward to spring!!
The Nomad was a fine machine, but the Rocket is so much more.
Take care, Eric

#23 ·
Hey Eric,
I don't know if you're on the R3 forums; but here's a link. https://www.r3owners.net/
Good group of guys there with more info than you'll ever need. Just make sure you introduce yourself before you start asking questions. :)
The Aussie's can be fickle about helping 'strangers'; it's seen to be impolite.

Scott

#25 ·
I am a big triumph motorcycle fan. They are just not prevalent in my location. 2 hours away for the closest dealer once my local dealer had a falling out with them and left those of us who bought one stranded. I only kept my Triumph Trophy SE one year and 10,000 miles. I really didn't ride it much, just on trips because the weather protection was too much for local riding here in the southeast.

I will probably buy a used scrambler at some point, but put Bonneville exhaust on it. Like the 270 degree crank that is only on the scrambler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.