Towing a Trailer - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Charcole Gray
Towing a Trailer

I'm thinking about getting a trailer to tow behind my 2015 Voyager. Looking for information on it. Will this bike be ok to tow with and what brand trailer would be best and most cost effective. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
The Voyager will definitely pull a trailer. Folks here pull everything from HF Tag Along trailers to pop-up campers. I pulled a Tag Along behind an 1100cc Honda Sabre on a 7k mile cross country trip, so I know a 1700cc Voyager will have no problem pulling one. I recommend a Chuckster trailer hitch if you don't have one yet. That's what I have, though I haven't pulled the trailer with the Voyager, yet.

The Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer is about as cost effective a purchase as you can make for a motorcycle trailer, especially if you catch them on sale. Some have made their own using HF bare trailers for the base and adding a cargo box (like a Thule car top carrier).

If you do get any HF trailer, the very first thing to do is clean out the pitifully small amount of what they call grease from the hubs (it's more like a runny wax than grease) and put some real grease in there. You will need a 5-wire to 4-wire connection kit for the trailer lights. Get one that uses battery to power the trailer lights, but uses relays to trigger the power (an isolated trailer connection kit). Much safer for the motorcycle electrical system. Don't buy one from a motorcycle place. Get one from an auto parts store for a fraction of what the motorcycle places sell the exact same thing for.

Installed:
RAM Aquabox with USB Power for GPS
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Garage
Not a trailer fanboy. If you need that much gear, go 4 wheels no hitch.
The wife & I can tent, cook, sit in chairs, all with gear stowed inside Voyager, just go minimal, with backpacking idea for choosing gear.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't know where you would put sit in chairs. For myself and my wife it's just not enough room. And no going with 4 wheels takes the fun out of riding a motorcycle. I think a trailer will be the way to go!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Harbor Freight has the Tag-Along trailer for $297 right now. I picked one up today. So far the quality is pretty decent.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Harbor Freight has the Tag-Along trailer for $297 right now. I picked one up today. So far the quality is pretty decent.

We don't have a harbour freight here in Canada and I'm not allowed to bring a trailer like that in because it is not Transport Canada approved. I would have to get a actual motorcycle trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I modified a Harbor Freight trailer over 18 years ago and am still using it. I have replaced the "box" I put on it twice since then. I narrowed the frame by 9 inches, and the length of the frame is 4 feet. The tongue is LONG. Makes it tow much better. I had right at 350k miles on my last scoot and I pulled the trailer at least 275k of those miles. My Voyager does not even know it is back there unless the situations listed below happen. I replace the wheel bearings every 5 years or so and re pack them every year. I have only put about 20k miles on the trailer in the 4 years I have lived here in Texas as I do not have to drive 250 miles ONE WAY to get groceries since I moved from Nevada. Plus all the trips we go on are a lot closer now as we came to Texas all the time in the 33 years we lived in Nevada.

I also replaced the 8 inch wheels with 12 inch wheels after about 8 years and that made it pull a lot better also.

The only time I have ever noticed it on any of the motorcycles I have pulled it with is....
Sometimes when it his a good bump in the road with one of the tires you feel it. That's it, you just feel it. Nothing happens. On very sharp low speed tight turns (parking lot speed) it will pull back on you and tries to pull you over a little whichever side the pull is coming from when your tow angle is about 45 degrees or more. Feels like when the wife leans over too far when your going slow. But that does not happen often. You have to be mindful that it is wider than you and if you catch a curb, car, or anything else in a turn you will know that happened quick.

We never go on a trip without the trailer. Not to take a lot of stuff but to bring back a lot of stuff...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman3 View Post
We don't have a harbour freight here in Canada and I'm not allowed to bring a trailer like that in because it is not Transport Canada approved. I would have to get a actual motorcycle trailer.

The Tag-Along is a motorcycle trailer. It's a very basic motorcycle trailer, but still...

600 lb. Auto; 200 lb. Motorcycle Capacity 78 in. Tag-Along Trailer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager 1700
I purchased one and only used the frame and changed out the wheels, axle, spindles, etc because as soon as I took it for a test drive I could see the wheels wobbling. The tires are only rated to 55mph. anyhow.

I would like to point out vehicles are registered in the province, not Canada so I don't see how Transport Canada is involved. Even if you are correct - register it as a home built trailer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman3 View Post

"If you want to feel smart, get stupid freinds..."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM

Garage
Anything really I feel over 1100CC will pull a trailer very nicely if you use common sense and not try to hook up a 5th wheel to bike.

I have a lees ure lite tent trailer and love it if your looking for tent trailer sets up in under 4 minutes really. High high end trailer for sure. Roughly now with all I have for options on trailer $6800.00 bucks Canadian with GST but once you really look trailer over you will see why the high price tag. The quality goes beyond what most makers of anything these days. I have only found two faults with build and they were small faults easily corrected in an hour for both faults.

There are two hitches for our bikes out there. McHitch and Chucksters. I bought the chucksters hitch for a reason. Mounts lower on bike in a panic stop it will not push up on the tail of bike and allow most downward force for better stopping power. I believe it to be a better built hitch also. I have a swivel hitch also they will help if your ever in a problem. The chucksters also gives me a mounting point for the wiring that keeps it safe and in an excellent postion. I also installed on the wiring a direct power wire into cigarette lighter into trailer so I can charge anything I want USB mostly or even watch movies at night on my DVD player. Works like a dam.

I warn anyone if you are going to install a trailer do not go with out a trailer relay harness. New cars and bikes have very light wiring and they need the protection of the harness. Easy to install believe me. What it does is draws all power from battery not from your wiring. It does hook up to your tail lights, signal lights and so on but only draws the signal of these being being applied. It works off one fuse so easy check if you do have a fault.

For a look at my trailer and set up watch this video the trailer set up starts at the 503 mark of video.

Once moving you do notice a bit of lack in torque on bike and stay back of other cars what ever there is a braking effect also and check your pads often for brake wear. Otherwise it is like not having a trailer behind you as oftern I have to check mirrors to make sure it is back of me. You forget about it as they do tow so easy. I love a trailer have towed one for years. I especially love my Lees ure Lite tent trailer it is amazing for a fact.

Last edited by buckey1313; 01-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode