Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rockford Fosgate Amp Install

46K views 153 replies 34 participants last post by  skullshaker 
#1 ·
As many of you know, I had the Pyle amp in my Voyager. It worked OK but just not what I wanted. I wanted MORE!! I just started installing the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4. Here's a few pics to show my progress. All mounted up. Now to start the wiring. Should be quick since I already had the Pyle amp in and the wiring is already modified. I post more pics as I go. This thing should ROCK!! 75W RMS/channel. Stay tuned.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not too much. I located the speaker leads coming out of the head unit. Clipped them to get the speaker level lead (from head unit) into the amp. Wired the outputs of the amp to the other side of the stock wiring leading to the speakers.

I did take the time to make the set up easy to put back to stock in the event I ever sell or trade-in the bike. I used 4 pin connectors and set them up so it's plug-n-play back to stock. Besides taking the amp out, I can be back to stock in no time. I'll have those pics up once I get to that point.

#4 ·
I look forward to the results. BTW...is this amp turned on with the stock on/off switch or does it have it's own on/off switch/

THANX AND GOOD LUCK

RACNRAY

#7 ·
The amp needs a remote turn on switch. I installed one in the fairing. Pics will follow as I go thru the install.

#6 ·
Yes. You're looking inside the fairing. Once you taken it off the first time, it's pretty easy the second (or 3rd...or 4th....). There's plenty of room for a small amp above the head unit. The Pyle amp I first put in is smaller than the Rockford Fosgate amp. There's plenty of room for the RF amp. I put the fairing back on after I mounted the RF amp to make sure it wouldn't hit the fairing. Gonna finish teh wiring tonight I hope.

#8 ·
Speaker Wiring Complete

Got the speaker wiring completed. Only thing left is power. Here's some more pics.

Attachments

#13 ·
I think it will get enough air flow. Based on how much dust seems to get in there, the air should too...LOL! I'm gonna heep an eye on it and if there's an issue, I have a small 12V cooling fan I used on a buried amp in a car installation to cool things down. I can put it at one end of the amp if needed.

#11 · (Edited)
OK. Here's my assessment. YEA HAW!!!!! This amp is the bomb. Once adjusted, it sounds way better than the Pyle amp. And I mean "way" better. The only limitations now are the 5.25 inch speakers. They are limited on the bass end but this amp really wakes the Polk DXi525s up.

You folks that bought the HogTunes speakers. This is your fix. 75W/channel RMS. That's 300W RMS total power. My amp is actually pushing 348W @ 4 ohm load. A power house. I'm not running it that high as my Polks are rated for 45W. Might change these out if I find something with better power handling. Someone meantioned some others so I may search this out.

Want to make the Voyager/Vaquero sound system better? Add a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4!!!

Pics of power connection and remote turn on switch.

Attachments

#21 ·
Took the bike out for a good long ride yesterday. Ran the system the whole time. Felt very little heat (if any) in the top area of the fairing. I don't hink heat is that much of an issue. Now I didn't run it blasting so that may be why it didn't heat up much.

Didn't need to run it blasting since I could hear the speakers at 75 MPH even with all the wind. I didn't have a helmet on so I was dealing with lots of wind noise too but could still hear the speakers. The RF amp works great.

I probably will take your advise and get some for "just in case". I want to go back under the fairing and tweek a bit more anyhow so that will be a good time to install the heat shield.

#24 ·
Info needed

My goal is to have an audio system that is more usable and enjoyable in certain situations than what the stock system delievrs. At the higher speeds and/or when traveling into the wind is where the sound system loses out to wind and exhaust noise. In thses situations i can't hear the music clearly or at all.

The first attempt to increase the volume was to install a pair of HogTunes speakers, which were an almost instant disappointment. They were removed the next day as instead of the 20% increase HT claimed i experienced maybe a 20% decrease in volume. The magnets on the HT speakers are not only HUGE as compared to the magnets on the stock speakers they are substantially stronger. From what i understand the stronger the speaker magnet, more amps to the speaker are needed to produce the same volume, or more.

I would imagine that adding an amp to the stock speakers would "overdrive" the speakers resulting in distortion at the higher volume levels. Now...adding the RF amp along with the HT speakers seems to be a better match.

Big question, will the RF/amp and HT speaker set-up povide me with the additional volume over the stock system i desire when i am riding in those situations i described? Will the sound quality be as good as the stock system?

I've got $100 speakers sittin under my bench waiting for a solution, i don't mind spending more $$$ if that money will deliver.

THANX FOR ANY INPUT

RACNRAY

#25 ·
My goal is to have an audio system that is more usable and enjoyable in certain situations than what the stock system delievrs. At the higher speeds and/or when traveling into the wind is where the sound system loses out to wind and exhaust noise. In thses situations i can't hear the music clearly or at all.

The first attempt to increase the volume was to install a pair of HogTunes speakers, which were an almost instant disappointment. They were removed the next day as instead of the 20% increase HT claimed i experienced maybe a 20% decrease in volume. The magnets on the HT speakers are not only HUGE as compared to the magnets on the stock speakers they are substantially stronger. From what i understand the stronger the speaker magnet, more amps to the speaker are needed to produce the same volume, or more.

I would imagine that adding an amp to the stock speakers would "overdrive" the speakers resulting in distortion at the higher volume levels. Now...adding the RF amp along with the HT speakers seems to be a better match.

Big question, will the RF/amp and HT speaker set-up povide me with the additional volume over the stock system i desire when i am riding in those situations i described? Will the sound quality be as good as the stock system?

I've got $100 speakers sittin under my bench waiting for a solution, i don't mind spending more $$$ if that money will deliver.

THANX FOR ANY INPUT

RACNRAY
I'll give you my assessment in a couple of days. I'm still installing mine.

#26 ·
I'm fabricating an aluminum tray to hold my Sony Xplode amp underneath the trunk. Right now the amp is inside the trunk but it's overheating because the trunk is sealed. I tried to think of a way to vent the trunk yet keep it watertight and have not been able to do so.

I'm using 1/8" 6061 aluminum which has good corrosion resistance and is easy to work with. I'll post pics once I'm done.

#29 · (Edited)
how about using a SS relay instead of a switch so its automatic

http://www.omega.com/pptst/SSRDC100V.html

w/ the ss relay you'll never have to worry about moisture or corrosion on the contacts

auto on sensor.... scratch my idea

#32 ·
auto on sensor.... scratch my idea
The Rockford amp has voltage sensing via the speaker level inputs. No remote turn on required with them as this provides the turn on voltage. If you use the RCA lo level inputs, a remote turn on is needed.

Hope that helps you stop scratching your head...LOL!!

#39 ·
Final Shots From Install

Well I will 100% echo what Bruce already stated, This Amp Kicks Ass, and the HT speakers really come alive, although I do wish they had more Bass.
I followed the instructions on the Gain Adjust and think I have it pretty close but I am by no means an audio expert.
So the instructions said to turn the Gain all the way down and turn up the volume on the head unit until the speakers distort then back off the volume, then adjust the Gain for good volume, that's when the Amp really kicks in. At 19 the speakers are really pounding and my wife came out into the garage and asked if I could hear it yet :D
I used the same test song as J&M Audio uses on their instruction video, good bass, good highs and rocks........AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Per their info, you turn it up to max volume until the bass in the beginning riff distorts and then back it off, start the song again and adjust the gain the same way, and this song rocks. Keep doing this until your satisfied. I think my gain may be a little too high because the amp goes into a distortion fit for a couple seconds if I'm really cranking on the volume, so tomorrow I'll readjust before I put it all back together.
Bottom line I am a very happy camper so far ;) The pictures are the completed install with everything tucked away and wrapped up.

Attachments

#41 ·
Well I will 100% echo what Bruce already stated, This Amp Kicks Ass, and the HT speakers really come alive, although I do wish they had more Bass.
I followed the instructions on the Gain Adjust and think I have it pretty close but I am by no means an audio expert.
So the instructions said to turn the Gain all the way down and turn up the volume on the head unit until the speakers distort then back off the volume, then adjust the Gain for good volume, that's when the Amp really kicks in. At 19 the speakers are really pounding and my wife came out into the garage and asked if I could hear it yet :D
I used the same test song as J&M Audio uses on their instruction video, good bass, good highs and rocks........AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Per their info, you turn it up to max volume until the bass in the beginning riff distorts and then back it off, start the song again and adjust the gain the same way, and this song rocks. Keep doing this until your satisfied. I think my gain may be a little too high because the amp goes into a distortion fit for a couple seconds if I'm really cranking on the volume, so tomorrow I'll readjust before I put it all back together.
Bottom line I am a very happy camper so far ;) The pictures are the completed install with everything tucked away and wrapped up.
Glad it worked out for you too. This is an awesome amp. The only issue with mine is the bass too. Unfortunately, the 5.25 inch speakers are the limiting factor. Not sure if bigger speakers could be installed or not. I might look into that. Off to another quest for better sound...LOL!!

#44 ·
****** DISCLAIMER ******
This is not a recomendation to purchase or install any device on your personal vehicle. This is an opinion and it's mine. And the information provided is what worked for ME. Chances are good your requirements, opinions and results will vary.​

Well I buttoned it all up and took her for a spin today, and I am still impressed with my results. I rode around the city and hit the freeway also. Half Helmet, no issues at all, I left the volume at 12 and rode around and had no issues hearing any tunes and still had volume to go up.
Hit the freeway back at setting 12 and let the AVC do its thing and at 75-100mph no issues hearing my iPod what so ever.
So I'm off to Laughlin for the 2012 River Run on Thursday and I have tunes that I am happy with and my trip will be rockin.

#42 ·
Thanks Bruce and Einstein, now I can finally use my H/T Speakers that's been sitting in my basement for the past two months. Ordering the amp now! Once again thanks for the great write up.

#43 ·
SO...bottom line is...
Is this set-up is better than stock? And by how much? It was stated that there could be more bass, is it less than stock? I want to be able to hear the music at the common speeds i travel, seems like 75-80 is max for me. I don't have as tall of a w/shield as most do so i have more wind noise.

BTW...AC/DC makes me puke :sick:, i guess i'll have to tolerate it to perform the adjustment.

THANX GUYS FOR THE WORK AND THE INFO!!:)

RACNRAY

#49 ·
This set up beats the stock by a long way. I can here the music over the wind and road noise. Bass is limited to what a 5.25 inch speaker can deliver. If you want thumping bass, you won't get it. Not enough speaker. The bass is a little stronger. The quality of the sound is way better. If you want to have a system that outperforms the stock, this is it. This won't match a quality system in a closed environment like a car but it does sound pretty good.

I also want to make sure anyone who does this understands. I'm borrowing Einstein's disclaimer. This worked for us. Hope your results are within your expectations.

BTW...I used some Godsmack to adjust mine...LOL!!

#46 ·
lmao,,the disclaimer...
FYI to remember when your adjusting the amp... you need to have either bike running or a battery charger hooked up.... remember the bike will be charging while running... under certain beats the amp can spike,surge or pull alot at once.. if you adjust the amp while not having some kind of charging system present you could be adjusting it too low or high... also amps are very sensitive to voltage.. even thou it will work it will sound a little diff or weaker if the battery drops even a little...also i adjust the amp at high volume,,,remember the ACV will turn it up automatically..so adjust it at 28 or so...it normally wont hurt a good set of speakers to really move in and out, but dont want to hear any POP noises
looks good guys and congrats...

#48 · (Edited)
The fairing is easy to get off. It's even easier the second time. Here's what's needed to do:

1. Remove speaker covers.

2. Remove storage boxes (access to passing lamps) and unplug passing lamp connectors.

3. Remove headlight trim (one bolt under it above fender) Has a couple grommets at the top. Just pull it off once you remove the bolt.

4. Remove headlight (4 bolts and the connector) ***DON'T DROP IT***

5. On a Voyager, remove the black plastics covers at the top of the lowers. There's 3 plastic pin rivets that hold them on. Push the center in and remove the rivets. Don't misplace them. They're reused when you put them back on.

6. On a Voyager, remove both lowers. There's 3 bolts holding each one on. One at the bottom and two up where the black covers were. If you have the CB installed, you'll have to remove the lower left bolt by the CB too.

7. Remove the two bolts on each side of the fairing just above the engine guards (look up above the guard).

8. Remove the silver bolt under the headlight opening. It's there up above the fender.

9. Remove the bolt by each speaker. They are next to the speakers where the grill was.

10. Remove windshield.

The fairing should be free now. Manuever it off the bike. There are a couple of grommets to watch. They're by the storage boxes. There's a guide pin that goes thru them. Make sure they don't fall out.

I think I covered it all. Seems hard but it's not. Just take your time.

#52 ·
I also put the Rockford Fosgate amp in my Voyager, and agree...it was worth the effort and cost. lots more "punch" to the sound.

I have my gain adjustments at the lowest setting. My question to those who have already installed the same amp is...do you remember what gain settings you used. Running the ipod when I get to about 18-20 on the volume it will practically make you go deaf, and I can't imagine sending even more power to my speakers ( running Boston Acoustics S55).

#53 ·
Your gain setting will be dependent on what speakers you're running. Mine is set just under half way. The other adjustment, the input voltage gain, will also have an effect on where the output gain is set.

#55 ·
I have mine set about half way but I think I'm gonna lower it. Too high an input voltage can create distortion. I want to play with mine just a bit and see what happens as I move both of the adjustments.

#56 ·
Water Issues

Hey guys, love the info in this forum! Looking to pimp out my audio a bit, so with the amp mounted above radio, is there a moisture concern? I do ride in the rain etc just dont want to fry anything.

Thanks!

#57 ·
Hey guys, love the info in this forum! Looking to pimp out my audio a bit, so with the amp mounted above radio, is there a moisture concern? I do ride in the rain etc just dont want to fry anything.

Thanks!
The amp is mounted high in the fairing. There's really no direct path to it for water to saturate it. Not saying it can't get wet but I've been caught in the heavy rain before the install of my amp and I didn't see any signs that moisture had gotten to the area where the amp is. The only openings I see is where the passing lamps are installed and they aren't in line with my amp. I'm not too worried about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.