Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

No Trunk 1700

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  NuRider250 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Voyager riders,

I just joined the forum about a week ago. I bought my first cruiser about 3 weeks ago and its a 2011 Voyager 1700. I really like the trunk but only want it on the bike when I am going on long trips so I took it off. I mostly do my riding locally in South Texas. When removing the trunk, I had to removed all the plastic that covered the trunk bracket. Now I have a large opening between the saddlebags and the fender.

Has anyone created a aftermarket to cover that large opening? Any aftermarket parts to cover it? How about a quick trunk release?

Thanks guys and hope to learn some good stuff here.

NuRider250

#3 ·
#5 ·
There is a guy on here who made his own black trim pieces to fill the gap between the bags and the bike, just can't remember who it was. There are no options for a quick release that I have heard of. I took mine off once but didn't like the look of the gap and it was kind of a PITA for what it was worth.

#6 ·
I wonder if the KQR for the Vaquero would fit on the Voyager. Then you could have a base to start with and figure out a way to mount the trunk. Of course you could search for a front end wrecked vaquero and put the rear end on the Voyager and go from there.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It seems Kawi does not make a quick release bracket. So I have two options to cover up the opening when trunk is off:

1. Buy the Nomad backrest and parts (~$400)
2. Fabricate some trimmings $$$ ???

I really like the clean look with the trunk off.

Most my riding is local under 200 miles or so.

I am planning a longer trip in November to Bandera, TX so I will be installing the trunk back. It just requires some time and effort to put it back. Not hard to do but a pain. IMO!

Again thanks for your feedback. Keep you posted on the direction I take.

Attachments

#9 ·
Hey Pilot,

I know. I think I am Modaholic. :)

I really wanted a Vaquero but could not come up with the $11k for the one I wanted. I bought the Voyager for $6k due to mine limited monies. I just need to figure the trunk thing and buy a shorter windshield. I may get my Vaquero with a cheaper Voyager.

See what happens!

NuRider

#10 · (Edited)
Garry "gv550" converts his Voyager nearly into a Vaquero by removing the trunk, and putting Vaq trim and seat on there. Those parts become available now & then in the classified's, but you'll wait quite a while to see them. Otherwise you should visit somewhere like Ronayers.com for the parts.

Edit: Here's a link to a thread of Garry's where he talks about the conversion, and posted a photo. I seem to recall he even bolts on Vaq lowers in the summertime now as well?

He's not the only one who's done that either. I remember a blue one done the same way.

#11 ·
The Vaquero has a completely fiberglass rear-end with no gap. But I am almost positive those parts wouldn't "fit over".

I went the other way. Having had a bike with a trunk I only sometimes used; I bought a Vaquero and a cargo trailer. For long trips, I pull the trailer. Otherwise, a nice sleek look!

#12 ·
I converted my Voyager to solo and the same parts would work on a Nomad.
Remove your backrest and all the plastichrome trim then install Vaquero fender filler panels and rear fender extender, and replace your seats with one from a Vaquero. Although none of this is direct bolt-on it does result in a clean factory look.
THIS is what I have been looking for. THIS is the confirmation I needed. Now, it looks like I will have the ability to switch between touring and a show bike in under an hour's worth of work.

#14 ·
i have not figure out what I am going to do with the trunk off to fill up the gap left behind when the trunk bracket was removed. In the meantime I added a new windshield. Its a Baggershield 11 to 18 in adjustable windshield. I am 5'8'' and the lower shield is perfect for me. I took a test ride today and the wind was hitting the very top of my head when I was going about 60 mph. I like the look of it. Its a clean and sporty look.
The shield has a upper part that can installed in less a minute. Attached is a couple of pics the showing the low profile look only. See what you guys think!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.