Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

big air kit advice

17K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Sabre-t 
#1 ·
I have been reading lots of posts and still am confused. I would like to add a BAK to my 14 vaquero and have a couple questions

ECU: want to get the ECU sent off to ivan but that won't happen till the off season . can i get a BAK now or do I have to wait till I get it flashed? I noted that Ivan wants to know if I have a BAK so it does appear to make some difference. I already have V&H exhaust and am seeing some decel popping and don't want to make the issue worse by getting a BAK before the ECU reflash

which one to buy: i have been shopping and getting quite confused.

I see the kuryakn ally cat
Kuryakyn Alley Cat Air Cleaner- Kawasaki VN1700 Vulcan/ Voyager and Vaquero Models (All)

and the thunder mfg mach 2 intake
https://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=489

I want to make sure I get all the pieces I need.

I also don't want one that sticks out too far on the right.

question: which one would you recommend? are there other kits?
question: does the kit come with a cover for the left side or do you need to buy this separate?

thanks in advance everyone

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a thunder tornado kit. It doesn't get in the way of your knee and it is the quietest of the BAK on the market. I/Ivan feel it acts like a partial ram air do to it's design. Plus it looks good IMO. Some folks don't like the sound of the motor/intake after putting on the other kits. DO NOT put on a BAK without some kind of additional fuel being added. IE: PCV or REFLASH which is better. I have Ivan's flash despite my signature...lol Hope this helps.

#8 ·
+1 on the Chucksters. I love the standard look and this together with the Dobeck EJK & Vance & Hines slip ons really woke up my Nomad. Still get the occasional pop but nothing really to worry about. If I was not in OZ the ECU would definately be going to Ivan.

#6 ·
I thought that popping on deceleration was due to too much fuel, and some of it getting into the exhaust, where the hot metal causes it to combust?

My week-old, stock Vaquero pops on deceleration all the time, I really like it. Hopefully it wakes up the cager on her phone behind me, before she hits me.

-John

#9 ·
i have the ally cat and it does hit your right knee
looks good and sounds good but it does get a little uncomfy as it put your right leg out that bit making it not square on the floor board for long rides

#11 ·
#12 ·
Bubbadss, don't know if I'm stating the obvious but gonna ask anyways. Did you use Permatex Copper gasket maker when you installed the V&H's? If not, I'd really recommend going thru the trouble of reinstalling them else you'll still get popping even if everything is spot-on.

also, here's a nice little video about addressing popping

#15 ·
Yes. The bikes already run lean from the factory. Adding a BAK will make them run way too lean with the stock fueling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.