Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Would like to lower my VN1700

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  notmighty 
#1 ·
Does anyone have some suggestions on how to lower my 2015 1700 without making it ride like a brick?

Jeff

#2 ·
Search this forum for Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Links. I lowered my '13 Nomad 1700 3/4". It kept the stock shocks so the ride is not like a brick. It was enough for me. I'm 5' 8 1/2 inches tall (or used to be).

#4 ·
I recently purchased this and haven't installed them, the kit came with spacers for the Lt side saddle bag. does that mean there is going to be a huge gap from the bag to the fender filler?

#3 ·
I personally would not recommend lowering. You can get aftermarket seats, I'm certain, that will lower the seat height some.
The reason why I do not recommend lowering is that the 1700 bikes seem to scrape early.

#5 ·
I can only speak for my 2013 Nomad. I would suggest you call Luverne and ask your questions there. There is a difference with the Nomad as the saddle bag brackets have to be modified. However, once modified, you cannot tell any difference between the stock bike and the modified bike, except that the rear is 3/4" inch lower. There is no additional gap. And, if I want to remove the lowering kit, to take it back to stock, it is easily done. I don't know whether the Vaquero bracket needs modification or not. They are good folks to talk to you. I did a couple of times.

#7 ·
The spacer is there because there is a difference in how the shocks on each side are mounted. There is no change is the actual position of the saddlebags after installation.

The difference and need is obvious if you look at each side once the bags are off.

Reactions: notmighty
#9 ·
I consider the Luverene adapters but with the work involved in cutting my saddlebag brackets opted for Progressive 430 shocks and front springs to drop 1". The cost difference was offset by ease of installation and a complete drop and getting rid of air shocks. There is also the trick of removing the clip on the shocks but I don't like that idea - for some they did. If you don't know search it on the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.