Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tall Riders and Tail Bones

12K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Diggles 
#1 · (Edited)
Did a 1200km 2 day tour of mid-northern Quebec and Ontario on the weekend and both my wife and I were none the worse for wear except after the first 2 hours on each day, we were having to stop every 90 minutes to stretch. The relationship between the stock Voyager seat and my tailbone isn't the greatest.

I'm just under 6'3 with long legs.

Any opinions on a solution? Highway pegs / what style? Ditch the stock driver's seat?

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Otter! Although it's not a bad thing to be taking a rest every 90 minutes, as a fellow tall person (6 feet here) who has spent a few hours in the seat of a Kawi 1700 (I've had 2), I have the following comments:

- stock seats on the Kawi 1700's suck! I currently ride a Vaquero with a Mustang seat with detachable back rest on it - the Mustang seats are made of firmer foam and seem to have very good tailbone support. I think the back rest is critical if you are experiencing tailbone pain, too - keeps your lower back well supported. I've also experienced a custom made seat on my '09 Nomad that was even better than the Mustang, but the shop location is a little out of your way in Washington State. ;)
- I cannot ride a bike for long distances without having highway pegs - a definite plus to just be able to stretch out and adjust for us taller folk. When you can place your feet on the pegs, therefor creating a bit of pressure into the back rest and rear seat pan of your seat, you'll find it's a super comfortable option for when you aren't in heavy traffic and needing that quick response to the brake pedal and shift lever.

Great bikes - hope this helps! :)

Robyn

#3 ·
- Have the grasshopper backrest. Just ordered some highway pegs and I'll see how it goes before I invest in a seat.

I will say, this ride is much better than my VN900. A one day trip left me hobbled. Now I've graduated to stretching when the tailbone starts to yell, but being none the worse for wear once the trip is over.

What's with a tailbone anyway? I don't have a tail. Have to see about getting it removed.

#10 ·
I'll add my like for the Nomad stock seat too, especially when compared with my last bike (900). When I take longer or multi-day trips I'll bring along my Air Hawk for the times when I feel I need a little change of butt support. With my Grasshopper back rest and highway pegs all is good!

#13 ·
I'm only 5' 8" on a good day and my tailbone would bother me after a short ride. After the highway pegs and a Grasshopper backrest I can go all day with no pain at all. I don't want to start trying aftermarket seats because that can be an expensive trial and error experiment.

#18 ·
Grasshopper, bracket attaches under the seat then rest slips into a slot between the seats-easy to install & remove. I don't use it when I am two up.

Attachments

#21 ·
Mustang seat will sit you back further and the backrest helps. I had the OEM backrest and prefer the Mustang seat. If you check your local Kijiji there is some Mustangs seats for sale locally...

#22 ·
I think the stock seat is very comfortable. My longest day so far on the Voyager is about 500 miles (twice), but it was far more comfortable than the exact same ride on a Honda Sabre with a Mustang seat and backrest. The thing about the Mustang seats for me is that they are so wide at the front that they affect blood flow to my legs. I think it would be even worse with the seating position of the Voyager.

The only thing I want to change is to add a backrest. I have ordered a cheap sissybar pad and will make my own bracket for it (yeah, I'm cheap). I would get the Grasshopper backrest, but it does not fold down for mounting the bike and it is not adjustable. My diy will do both. Everything else is too expensive for me or requires modifying the seat (Utopia backrest) which I don't care to do.

#23 ·
We have a 2012 Voyager and after the first long ride with the stock seat (400 miles), purchased the Russel Day-Long.
Best.
Money.
Spent.
Ever.

400 miles a day? Not a problem anymore. Well worth the cost.

BTW... I'm 6'4"

#26 ·
I am in Australia & got mine direct from Grasshopper in the states

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.