Vulcan 1700 Engine & Tranny job - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 1700 Engine & Tranny job

Assuming it might be of some use to the Vulcan 1700 riders here, I wanted to put in a link to the process I went through installing the 2011 transmission into my 2010 Voyager. I also cut the heads .025" to raise compression to the factory specification of 9.5:1 and, while I was at it, I ported the heads. The result worked out great. The tranny is quieter and it now has the OOMPH! that a 1700cc V-twin motorcycle should. Rather than cut and paste it all, here's the link:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan/messages
Thread 105848.31 and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Top Contributor

You mentioned in post number 89 about the left and right side intake runners being different sizes. This is sometimes a strategy that is utilized to promote combustion chamber intake swirl.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Pretty impressive work! I hope I never have to get that far into the engine, but I also wish that if I did, I had your skills. Nice work. I've learned to live with the clunky shifting on my 09 VV, but I really like what you did. It is good to know the technical info you posted about things like the cam chain tensioners, etc. Gives me a little peace of mind about my engine.

2009 Vulcan Voyager, Wolo Bad Boy air horn, Kuryakyn ISO grips with contoured throttle boss, Kuryakyn Adjustable Floorboard Cruise Peg mounts with pegs, Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust, K&N air filter, temperature dipstick, saddlebag rails, Superbright trunk light flasher.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemc View Post
Pretty impressive work! I hope I never have to get that far into the engine, but I also wish that if I did, I had your skills. Nice work. I've learned to live with the clunky shifting on my 09 VV, but I really like what you did. It is good to know the technical info you posted about things like the cam chain tensioners, etc. Gives me a little peace of mind about my engine.
There are lots of good wrenches out there, Dave. I just thought that the info might be of help to any one of them that might find himself inside the 1700. Besides wanting to quiet down my transmission and bump the OOMPH! a bit, I like doing engine work and the Vulcan 1700 is a new one that I wanted to get to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode