Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Not happy with your drilled 1700 exhaust?

15K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  otter 
#1 · (Edited)
If you're not, I'd like to know why.

I'd like a little more sound from the exhaust. Not as much as you get from slip-ons or full systems. And I have no desire to repack mufflers every season. For me, that's not what a Voyager is about. At the same time I'm nervous about making irreversible changes to my mufflers.

Anybody regret drilling/removing baffles?

Video added in post #37

#2 ·
How many miles on the bike? Everyone thought I had aftermarket on my 2010 after 20,000 miles.

For my ears there is a fine line between sounding like a well tuned exhaust and sounding like an old ******* pickup truck. I've heard many bad sounding exhausts over the years. Exhaust note is an art form IMO.

Reactions: Ryan85 and Poppop
#3 ·
#4 ·
I drilled the last baffle on both sides of the exhaust on my Voyager, added a K&N Airfilter to the stock airbox and exchanged the european air intake snorkle in the airbox versus the US-style (2 openings/channels vs. 3 openings/channels).

I LIKE THE SOUND - but have to say, I did those things mainly becausea of the hickup/delay/ in throttle respons between 2000 and 3000 RPM. Those european model run like crap from the factory.

Now I like everything.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: D-Dub
#11 ·
Love mine. 2 baffles drilled on my 09. Its a nice rumble and barks when you twist the throttle.

I did the harley thing. If i ever get another bike added to the stable maybe it will be louder, but my drilled factory pipe sound fits my voyager well.

I may drill the third. Anybody that can tell me how much difference it makes, id appreciate.

#16 ·
#20 ·
Y'all might want to search for the riders who first drilled, and then bought aftermarket exhaust. That will give you better insight into sound quality.

A lot of cruisers pass by my house on the weekend since I am at the gateway to the great TN roads. Some bikes sound nice. Some bikes sound like ******* pickup trucks, and some like VW bugs.

#22 ·
If you're not, I'd like to know why.

I'd like a little more sound from the exhaust. Not as much as you get from slip-ons or full systems. And I have no desire to repack mufflers every season. For me, that's not what a Voyager is about. At the same time I'm nervous about making irreversible changes to my mufflers.

Anybody regret drilling/removing baffles?
No regrets. Like the sound. Love the price. :grin2:
Mine are cut the pipe and get the third baffle-wall from the back side style gutted.
Flip side is there are PLENTY of Stock exhausts laying in garages if you REALLY don't like it.
My factory VAq pipes are out there. I paid for shipping on a pulled pair of Nomad pipes to experiment with. $60 is a cheap set of pipes, and I can go back to stock if I want to.

Ride safe,
Smokier

#24 ·
So went to Home Depot and got my 1 1/4" BI-METAL Hole saw w/orbiter and 18" extension. About $40 outlay. Hopefully get her done soon. Anybody else take the plunge yet?

#29 ·
I thought about posting a video with sound. However, I can't see how to post it here. Can anyone help?

#31 ·
Apparently, there is no way to upload a sound file directly to the board. I've never done youtube, and probably won't.

#37 ·
Before & After Exhaust Video

I drilled out one baffle from each muffler. The difference is more noticeable in person and especially while riding. Got a small increase in volume (5 or 10% maybe) and it definitely has a lower tone. From the saddle the increases are really only noticeable from idle through 3,000 or 3,500 RPM's, above that the exhaust is covered up by the motor and intake sounds. In other words, it's still very tame. I'm going to stop right here (for now).
I'm saving my nickles and dimes for an Ivan Flash. After that and an air intake change I'll reevaluate things , maybe remove a couple more baffles.

I didn't even have to increase my stereo's volume on the 80 mile test ride, until a song played that had almost no high tones. I think that really shows how much lower the exhaust note is now.

Absolutely no regrets removing 1 per muffler.

#40 ·
I drilled out the 2 rear ones on both sides about a month ago. It sounded better [deeper] and was OK. After I went and saw Ivan and had the ECU flash done on my Nomad it sounded even better. The combo of both made a big difference.:grin2:

Reactions: D-Dub
#41 ·
Last duh question...I got a 1 1/4" hole saw with a 1 3/8" orber (Milwaukee) from HD. So the orber penetrates first and holds the actual hole saw in place and if I'm lucky the plate wil come out on the orber? BTW that video rocks! Obviously I am very limited mechanically.

#42 ·
Both of mine came right out on the end of the tool.

I'd recommend picking up a magnet on a stick. You can use that to fish out any plugs that fall off but also works great to pick up the fillings from drilling.

In the end, I think you'll be surprised how easy the hole process is. See what I did there? lol

#44 ·
Drilled mine out tonight. Quick and easy. Will hear how it sounds tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.