Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Front caliper bolts frozen

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  theff50 
#1 ·
Trying to remove the calipers so I can get my tire replaced but for the life of me I can't get the bolts loosened. help please!

#3 ·
Steel and aluminum don't mix well and they seize. You need to "crack" them first and soak with penetrating oil. Soak for a while and take a brass punch/hammer and whack the bolts to try and crack them before loosening. Use anti-seize when you put them back on.

#4 ·
Napom and I changed his tires a couple of weeks ago. The rear caliper bolts were seized on his. With a bolt extractor tool (has teeth like a screw extractor that cut into the bolt head and grip it) and my big breaker bar, we got one loose. It took every ounce of strength that I had to get that one. We couldn't get the other one loose and chewed the head all up. He took it to the local Kawi dealer (Mountain Motorsports in Marietta) and they had some tool that they managed to break it loose with.

I got this bolt extractor set:
Irwin BOLT-GRIP 394001 - Bolt Extractor Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts
There are other kits, by Irwin and others. Very handy tools to have!

#5 ·
I really doubt the front wheel has ever been off the bike. Had only 3k miles on the bike when I bought it 6 months ago. I have pretty much destroyed the heads on these bolts trying to free them. Gave up for now. The tire has a few miles left on it so gonna get some penetrating oil and those bolt extractors and try again in about a week. Thanks for the advice.

#6 ·
(CAREFULLY)....Apply some heat to the (CAREFULLY) area round the bolts (CAREFULLY) and that should help free them (CAREFULLY). I think you can pick out the key word. If the heads are mucked up then you might need a bolt extractor. I had the same problem removing a rotor a while back. (CAREFULLY) applying heat to the area around the bolts did the trick and they came right out. But remember the key word. May have to drill the heads a bit to get the extractor started. :grin2:

#7 ·
I use my cordless 1/2 inch impact driver. Never had a problem with the caliper bolts but I have on lower shock tube bolts taking shocks apart. Rebuilt the shocks on one of my Yamaha's a few months ago. That plunger tube stem bolt on the bottom can be a bear. Usually sounds like you snapped it when it breaks loose.

#8 ·
The heads of the bolt do not have very large flats on them in the first place, they use a thread locker on these bolts also. Use a 6 point socket only and a longer ratchet or breaker bar. Do not jump on it but put steady even pressure on the bar. They will break free with out heat just takes work. I tried pulling mine when i bought my bike last year with 10k miles, front was probably never off the bike, and messed up the heads. I ordered new ones and it all good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.