Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Replacing tires on my Vaquero

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  aron77 
#1 ·
I noticed that my 2011 vaquero seemed a little squirrely so as I was checking the tire pressure I noticed that the back tire is pretty much bald in the middle, good tread on the side but bald as a baby in the middle. I was a little surprised since I bought it last year pretty much new with only 1700 miles on it and while I have it up to about 9000 now I didn't expect a bald tire, I've read the stocker suck for longevity and I would have to agree. I've only been riding a couple of years and this is my second bike so I've never bought tires for a bike and since tires seem pretty life and death to me I want to make the best decision. In my brief research tonight the words commander II have come up a lot so that is the leading candidate but can someone lay out everything for me?

What size tires for the Vaquero?

What tire is the best and how much to they run?

Online vs going to a local shop? What about mounting?

What PSI should an extra large guy be running?

Feel free to post links to some great deals or tell me anything else I should know?

See less See more
#2 ·
I do all mine myself by hand so no shop fees for me. I order mine here.
https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1455/34026/Michelin-Commander-II-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire
Have heard good things about these also, for the price. Wont last quite as long as the Commanders, but much cheaper also.
https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1173/64327/Shinko-777-H.D.-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire
I am now using the Shinko on the front of my Voyager in the stock size of 130/90/16. I have used the Commanders on the front twice, got 19k on the 1st and 14.5k on the 2nd. I change mine once they get to the wear bars. The rear Commander I had on 1st, I had to replace early due to cupping and cracking in the tread due to low pressure over the winter, had 14k on it and still had another 6-7k miles easy if not for the tread issue. I blame this completely on my letting the air get so low, I ride year round and the pressure got down to 20 psi. Mileage can vary depending on so many things include the road surface. I use 2 oz of Dyna beads in each tire for balancing.

#5 ·
Thanks for the link! That was the cheapest price that I saw of the several sites I looked at for the commanders and I got my local shop to match it after they originally quoted $300. I went ahead and spent the extra money so I don't have to deal with this every year and they popped up with every search I did.

#3 ·
I just ordered a Commander II for my Voyager, rear, size 180/65/16 from Motorcyclesuperstore.com. It arrived in two days. Cost was right at $200. Shipping was free. I had mine mounted and balanced by a local shop, $75.00. He recommended not using Dynabeads, to use the old fashion method. I've only had it on there a short time so I can't tell how I like it yet.

#4 ·
Metzeler Triple 8's on my 1600 Classic...
Can't say they are better or just as good as Commander II's...
Cost is better plus a $50 rebate on a set sold me on them...
Ordered from Dennis Kirk with 3day shipping...
Net cost for the set was $226
130 90 16 and a 180 65 16
Got about 1500 miles on them so far and love them !!!

Luckymann77

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.