vaquero miles, issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: southern utah
Posts: 35
vaquero miles, issues

ok so the vaquero has been out for awhile.has anybody got any serious miles on one yet? are there any problems too be aware of? i loved this bike the first time i saw it and want one bad just wondering how durable they are. might have to sell my vulcan and get one. i loved the black the best till i seen the new green man thats a bitchen bike.
scooter2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego CA via Long Island NY
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2 View Post
ok so the vaquero has been out for awhile.has anybody got any serious miles on one yet? are there any problems too be aware of? i loved this bike the first time i saw it and want one bad just wondering how durable they are. might have to sell my vulcan and get one. i loved the black the best till i seen the new green man thats a bitchen bike.
I hit 7K today. My love affair with the Vaquero has had it's rocky moments. I found it an absolute necessity to add a Power Commander to get the bike to run the way it should (Blame the EPA for most of this, Kawasaki has to adhere to a federal emission standard that has the manufacturers setting these bikes very lean from the factory) The heat issue when the fan kicks on is ridiculous. When the fan kicks on, the engine heat is blown directly back at the rider. Specifically the inner thighs and the twig and berries. It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen. There is a throttle response issue that a mod has been made to correct on this forum. And it seems more than one of us is experiencing intake leaks. The stock tires started to cup at 4800 miles. I have since put Metzler 880s on. The Vaquero is NOT a sit in traffic or frequent stop kind of bike. It's heavy and high.

Now the pro's. Once she gets going, the Vaquero handles like a dream. Especially for a heavy bike. It actually handles a lot better than some smaller bikes I have ridden. The Vaquero has A LOT of power and with a PC it would be a good argument that it's not the fastest stock bike in its class. I am averaging just around 40 MPG. I have taken the Vaquero on a few 500+ mile trips and have found it very comfortable to ride distances. You can literally forget that you are carrying a passenger. Whether riding solo or 2 up the Vaquero handles virtually the same. Plenty of room in the bags. Stereo sound is very good as is and the Ipod interface is really nice. (Kawasaki does charge you like $140 for the cable though. so get it included if you buy a Vaquero) And as you mentioned in not so many words, "it looks bad ass"
Nines is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Top Contributor
 
BrucerZX14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nines View Post
It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen.
I've seen the 2012 Vaquero. Kawasaki did not install the heat mngt kit on them. It's only on the Voyager.

2010 Voyager
Roaring Twinz Air Kit
Thunder Manufacturing dress-up plate
VN1500 kickstand
Chrome bling on passenger floorboards
Rockford Fosgate Amplifer
Polk Audio/Kicker speakers
Kawasaki CB radio
Rear speaker kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip-ons
Power Commander V
Portable XM radio thru AUX
Marvellas trailer hitch
Lower bag rails
Kuryakyn Tour-tech cruise peg mounts
Kuryakyn black ISO grips w/bar-end weight & red trim
BrucerZX14 is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Vendor
 
RACNRAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 1,509
I have been enjoying my Vaquero to the tune of 15,607 miles since April 15th! The stock seat was poopoo after about 3000 miles, causing lots of butt pain. Kawi's gel seat was an improvement but was painful after about 5000 more miles. I had the stock seat re-done and it's much better. I installed Kawi's taller shield to help manage windblast from the stock "deflector" as it is called. Avon grips fit my hands better, allow better "feel" and don't get slippery when wet.

I've done LOTS of mods for performance, V&H 2-1 exhaust, my own free-flowing intake, PCV and custom mapping, my quick turn throttle. I have been using a larger than stock rear tire, lowers engine rpm at all speeds and increases cornering clearance. The latest tires are the Dunlops.

I discovered a pretty good intake leak on my Vaquero that may be plaguing other Vulcans, since the fix the skoot runs flawlessly.

The only problem now is my cruise control stopped working this past Sunday, so i gotta figure out what is wrong with that system.

I do like the new 2012 green paint scheme but i'll live with the red.

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Top Contributor
 
Napom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 843
Garage
Ray - Try stomping on the brake (when stopped) to get the cruise to work . . . Someone on here said dirt gets in the sensor sometimes and makes the sensor think the brake is applied - hence no cruise . . . When my cruise "went out" on my Voyager, a couple of good stomps did the trick - No problems since - Now the brake stomp has become part of my pre ride ritual to prevent this from reoccuring . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Psgr Pegs
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Superbrightleds.com brake strobe
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw


Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Napom is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Vendor
 
RACNRAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napom View Post
Ray - Try stomping on the brake (when stopped) to get the cruise to work . . . Someone on here said dirt gets in the sensor sometimes and makes the sensor think the brake is applied - hence no cruise . . . When my cruise "went out" on my Voyager, a couple of good stomps did the trick - No problems since - Now the brake stomp has become part of my pre ride ritual to prevent this from reoccuring . . .
There are 2 switches responsible for cancelling out the cruise control, i checked both today with an ohm meter and they are operating properly.

When i have more time i'll delve into this further.

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Contributor
 
BrucerZX14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
The only problem now is my cruise control stopped working this past Sunday, so i gotta figure out what is wrong with that system.

I do like the new 2012 green paint scheme but i'll live with the red.

RACNRAY
Takle some WD40 and clean the three switches. Clutch, rear brake, front brake. This should fix your problem with the cruise.

2010 Voyager
Roaring Twinz Air Kit
Thunder Manufacturing dress-up plate
VN1500 kickstand
Chrome bling on passenger floorboards
Rockford Fosgate Amplifer
Polk Audio/Kicker speakers
Kawasaki CB radio
Rear speaker kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip-ons
Power Commander V
Portable XM radio thru AUX
Marvellas trailer hitch
Lower bag rails
Kuryakyn Tour-tech cruise peg mounts
Kuryakyn black ISO grips w/bar-end weight & red trim
BrucerZX14 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Contributor
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 2,390
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2 View Post
ok so the vaquero has been out for awhile.has anybody got any serious miles on one yet? are there any problems too be aware of? i loved this bike the first time i saw it and want one bad just wondering how durable they are. might have to sell my vulcan and get one. i loved the black the best till i seen the new green man thats a bitchen bike.
The Vaquero is basically a Voyager without tour pack and other features. I know of one guy who has over 100,000 miles on his '09 Voyager. I know several folks with over 30,000 miles on their Voyagers. All trouble free.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Bubba in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Corsicana Texas
Posts: 1,558
Garage
Although it will be really interesting to find out what is actually causing the cruise control problem. You are better off using electrical contact cleaner to clean the switches as WD40 is GREAT for a multitude of things, it does however become gummy and collects dirt. The switches are easy to remove, and thoroughly clean elsewhere. That way you can give them a good soaking.

Some people will soak it in alcohol which also worked well, but something better than that is Everclear. We got it in gallon jugs in the Air Force to use as a contact cleaner as it leave absolutely no residue on gold contacts. There is even a Federal stock number for it. (or was 25 years ago)

I always remove the switches and use "electrical" contact cleaner. There is no reason to put oil those switches, it collects crud. Squeaky clean and no residues works best.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 01-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Bubba in TX is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
DESERT ANGEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 479
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nines View Post
I hit 7K today. My love affair with the Vaquero has had it's rocky moments. I found it an absolute necessity to add a Power Commander to get the bike to run the way it should (Blame the EPA for most of this, Kawasaki has to adhere to a federal emission standard that has the manufacturers setting these bikes very lean from the factory) The heat issue when the fan kicks on is ridiculous. When the fan kicks on, the engine heat is blown directly back at the rider. Specifically the inner thighs and the twig and berries. It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen. There is a throttle response issue that a mod has been made to correct on this forum. And it seems more than one of us is experiencing intake leaks. The stock tires started to cup at 4800 miles. I have since put Metzler 880s on. The Vaquero is NOT a sit in traffic or frequent stop kind of bike. It's heavy and high.

Now the pro's. Once she gets going, the Vaquero handles like a dream. Especially for a heavy bike. It actually handles a lot better than some smaller bikes I have ridden. The Vaquero has A LOT of power and with a PC it would be a good argument that it's not the fastest stock bike in its class. I am averaging just around 40 MPG. I have taken the Vaquero on a few 500+ mile trips and have found it very comfortable to ride distances. You can literally forget that you are carrying a passenger. Whether riding solo or 2 up the Vaquero handles virtually the same. Plenty of room in the bags. Stereo sound is very good as is and the Ipod interface is really nice. (Kawasaki does charge you like $140 for the cable though. so get it included if you buy a Vaquero) And as you mentioned in not so many words, "it looks bad ass"

Thanks for your honest opinion, 40 mpg thats great I can not get more than 35 mpg on my vn2000 I must be doing something wrong
DESERT ANGEL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome