Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Wanting to buy a good seat for my bike

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  revrider 
#1 ·
Tried to buy a Mustang seat through J & P Cycles but there ordering in screwed up so I cancelled. Any suggestions?

#4 · (Edited)
I've had Mustang and Corbin... and love the Ultimate.

Corbin rock hard and you need to let them break in. Still hard but fit the rear. Consider it a Daddy Bear...
Mustang big and soft. I felt like they were too soft. Mama Bear....
Baby Bear is the Ultimate out of Florida.

IMHO way better than either one, in the same price range. I have used all the driver & passenger and backrests before Voyager.
Of the three backrests the Corbin backrest is my favorite. The Ultimate is second, a tad thick. The mustang was ok.

gb

#5 ·
You forgot the Grandfather bear, the outright best of the lot of them - The Russell day-long seat?

If touring and comfort is your priority over looks - it's very hard to go past the Russell. I use my Mustang seat around town, but neither I nor my passenger will use it for any distance. That's what the Russell is for. 10,000 miles over 45 days in July/August last year around the western USA & Canada, and we both looked forward to sitting in that seat every morning, and never had any problem sitting in it all day long.

#9 ·
Yeah unfortunately there are little differences. Otherwise, used is a great deal. Unless there's obvious damage; there's really no good reason not to consider a good deal from a forum member!

I love my Mustang seat. Though one of these days; I'll probably end up on a Russel.

Reactions: theff50
#10 ·
I just ordered the Mustang wide touring for my Voyager from Dennis Kirk. I had one on my Roadstar and the missus and I often did 400+ mile days with it. I was tempted to go with the Corbin, especially with the custom options, but most of my research indicated that the Corbin saddles went past firm for comfort and ended up with too hard instead.

#12 ·
I have had Mustang seats on all my bike so far...once broken in it rides great. The only issue is that it is a big chunky seat, does not fit the lines of the bikes very well.

I put the stock seat back on the Vaquero the past few days...looks awesome, but not great for any long distances...horrible pressure points after about 30 miles or so.

Still considering sending the stock seat over to Russel to have a solo seat made.

#14 ·
Check out meancitycycles.com, I had them put their double decker memory foam on my Vaquero. They even put a tailbone recess in the seat. After having this done I was able to make an iron butt run and then still put on another couple thousand miles to make a great one week vacation.

#13 ·
Got a big box and a little box on my side deck this afternoon from Dennis Kirk. My new Mustang wide touring seat with rider backrest and a set of Kuryakyn highway pegs and mounts. Haven't put them on yet, but...

#15 ·
I ordered mustang seats for my 1600. I ordered it from J&P late on Tuesday and I just got a notification from UPS that it is arriving at my house today. They did have a notification up there saying they were having some shipping delays but if mine shows up today I am more then happy with 3 day shipping for free. Weird you had an issue with them. I have only seen very good reviews which is why I ordered from them.

Either way I spent hours and hours researching seats because the stock seat on my bike killed my tail bone after about 1.5 - 2 hours of riding. I'm the kind of person that will hop on and ride all day with nowhere to go. After doing all that research it was clear that mustang seats were the way to go. I cant wait to get mine installed and hit the road.

#16 ·
Not trying to hijack the thread but i got a question, i am Also looking for a seat for my nomad, my issue is i will like to be push back alittle(34 inseam), the stock seat its pretty fwd for me. Is the mustang seat a better option?

Sadly the only guy i know with a nomad have a classic so his mustang seat wont fit on my bike. I really like the bike but this cramped seat its making me consider something else.

#17 ·
The Mustang does set you back a couple of inches and up a little from OEM so it's probably exactly what you require. I put risers on my Voyager to get the easy reach back after I bought the Mustang. That extra space for me was at the expense of my passenger room though, so the Mustang is now my "round town" seat, and the RDL goes on for touring.

Mustang had the perfect seat for my 800, and for my Nomad. They didn't meet quite the same high standard for the Voyager though IMHO. Plenty of riders seem to like it, I never quite got there. I'd sell my Mustang seat if I could, and did at one point, to a fella in Russia. We called that off when I got the quote for shipping.

#21 ·
I agree, I have had my mustang seats installed since Friday. I put a ton of miles on that seat this past weekend and I had no discomfort at all. From easy highway riding 75 mph to terrible broken up roads in down town Raleigh. Absolutely the best upgrade that can be purchased for a motorcycle. And my seat is brand new and has not been broken in yet. Also the rear seat was much larger and appears to be a much better spot for the passenger to sit then the stock seat. We are heading to the coast this weekend so that's a two hour ride both ways. I'll know for sure after that what my wife thinks after that. Also I got mine from J&P and the shipping was extremely quick and packaged well.

Attachments

#23 ·
I have been waiting to order my ultimate seat set for my 15 voyager til the weather breaks and I can take advantage of their 14 day test ride that they offer. I think that the voyager has the best factory seat I have ever rode on, but after about 200 miles my tail bone starts to bother me and I want to go on much longer rides. Does anybody have feedback on the ultimate seats vs. factory? Love to hear input on them!!

#25 ·
Well Gary, My question was not to offend you! I did read this post from the beginning and cannot see why you are so worked up! I am getting ready to make an $850.00 purchase, and thought this forum was all about helping each other out. I read your opinion, and someone else's, that is pleased with them but has just received them. Didn't think it was rude to ask for other peoples input on their experience with these seats. Your input was appreciated, but was looking for more than one persons!

Enjoy the day!!

#27 ·
The point is simple, the information IS there and I along with others have ALREADY provided a couple of times as I'm sure you have CR.
Poster did not acknowledge previous research here or elsewhere and ask for ADDITIONAL info... The post had no info on previous research
mentioned. So now in addition to being my normal RC self I have to infer or use a crystal ball to decipher a post. No personal attack just
think people can do us all a favor by doing a little homework on a subject before posting. How many Best Tires threads do we have, or RISER
threads...

I probably just need to get out and ride... Its long overdue...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.