Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Adding Cruise to Classic LT

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tcheekva 
#1 · (Edited)
I love the Classic LT but really wanted cruise control. So I did some research and figured out it was possible. I have tried to document the major steps. If you have any questions please ask.

Here is the bike when I first got it.

Here is the current look.

I have done a lot to it but for this thread will describe adding cruise control

Here is a mostly complete list of what you will need. I sourced all from ebay. You can buy all new but why would you. It took about 4 months to gather all the parts.

1) wiring harness from a 2009-2014 nomad/voyager/vaquero
2) ECM COMPUTER 21175-0339 2010 and up
3) right handle bar controls
4) right front brake master cylinder assembly with handle
5) switch and holder parts for cruise cancel on rear brake
6) throttle body cancel switch( i got a complete throttle body)
7) Left handle bar clutch assembly with switch for cruise cancel.

The cruise control circuit itself is nothing more than some switches combined with the ECM. That is the beauty of electronic throttle.

I took many pictures during the disassembly but will just post the hightlights.

The first thing I did was to add the switch to the rear brake pedal. I had bought a complete peddle assembly from a nomad but it is not needed. It would also move the floor board back on the right side. One of the things I like about the Classic is the floor board is farther forward.

I measured the existing brake switch to reduce adjustment later.

you will have to drill 3 holes to mount the new switch and holder. placement is critical as this is what cancels the cruise. I also welded on a tab to move the mounting hole to other side. the top one interferes with the return spring.

here is the holder mounted

having the complete assembly from a bike with cruise really helped. Doing again I would slot the holes to make adjustment easier. I only used 2 of the holes for mounting. This was the hardest part of the job.

Next I removed the complete harness from the bike. Remove the seat tank and air boxes. I took a lot of pictures of wire routing for reassembly.

Just take your time it was not really that hard to remove.

I laid out the classic harness next to the donor harness on a large board.

more to come....

See less See more
#3 ·
Brilliant!

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone.

My total cost was just under $600. The most expensive piece was the ECM at $175. Total time was 2 weekends. Could have done it in 1 but spent a lot of time figuring out the mounting of the rear brake switch.

on with the process.

Once the harnesses were laid out you must have the wiring diagram for a bike with Cruise. You will start at the main ECU plug. Slide the lock clip out. Be careful not to pull the plug too much as all the wires can be pulled out now. Work slowly from the wiring diagram tracing the cruise control circuits out. The service manual lists the pin outs of the ECM plugs with all the cruise control circuit pins identified. there is only 6 wires I think. Just remove one wire at a time from the harness. When all the wires are loose the cruise circuits will be a single bundle. now you will place over the classic harness and wrap them in. remove the plug holders in the ECM connectors and slide in the new wires. tape everything back up. thankfully all 1700 harnesses are almost identical. If you get a nomad donor harness it will make the connection at the handle bar easier, if you use a vaquero/voyager harness you will have to be a little creative to connect the wires to the right handle bar switches. I am sorry I forgot to take a picture of this end of the harness but it was not difficult to figure out. I think I only had to splice 1 wire. all others were just plug in.

Carefully put the harness back on the bike. You can replace the right side handle bar controls, and add the switch to the throttle body. You really can't plug anything in wrong so don't fret to much over it. Replace the ECM with one that has cruise and you are pretty much done.

One big item I did not replace was the speedometer/meter. You would need one from a nomad if you want the cruise indicator light. I can live with out it so did not replace. If I ever come across a cheap one on ebay I might replace it.

This was a little long winded and I left out details but I hope you get the idea that it was a pretty easy project for someone with moderate skills.

It was a fun project. I have my bike just the was I want it, and I did all my own work, and have a great time doing it. I am going to be installing hard bags soon which is why I converted to nomad exhaust, also a much better selection of pipes. I mounted a HD trunk on a custom bracket, and built a custom hitch for it.

I will try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Thanks

Reactions: MVA-Voyager
#7 ·
Excellent job, and a great write-up, thanks! If you have a cancel switch on your clutch - you'll find (as the rest of us have) that just a very light touch of the clutch lever is by far the easiest way to cancel the cruise.

#8 ·
I updated some of the steps and the material required. You do need all the switch, (clutch,brake,throttle, etc) to make it work. The clutch cancel switch is also used to reset the cruise computer logic. I am very happy with it. I also found a nice used Nomad meter so I have all the lndicator lights. As I was doing the install I also procured a left side control from a voyager so I could add factory radio controls.

I have basically turned my Classic LT into a Nomad/Voyager hybrid. Waiting for deals on ebay have not spent too much and I am very happy with the outcome. I liked the foot placement of the Classic better than the others.

#11 ·
Trunk is a Harley trunk I got off ebay. They really make a nice box. Aftermarket clones just don't have the quality. I had to fab a rack to mount it on. I still have to paint everything to match. Might redo the whole bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.