Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Please help!!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Luckymann77 
#1 ·
Morning guys,
Iv got a 2011 voyager custom and took it out last week the ignition work fine but nothing happens at all she. I push the start button.
Battery voltage is fine, checked all the fuses,
And the switch assembly looks to be in good order.
Anyone got any advice for me to start on? I'm pretty stumped.
Thanks

#2 ·
I need a little more info, and somethings to check

did you do any changes to the bike from the last time it started?

Do the lights come on? dim when pushing start button?

Do you hear the starter relay click? Fuel system pressurize? Gauges do there "normal" start sequence. try with clutch pulled in

Verify operation of side stand switch, neutral switch, stop switch etc. attachment from manual

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi yeah the relay clicks and the voltage dips as the button is pushed all other start up procedure is normal. Iv actually had a few running problem with it and changed the side stand switch, (changing the switch was actually why I had tried to start it when I first discovered the problem) after I hold down the start button it displays error 21 which is the crankshaft sensor but I'm led to believe because the engine isn't turning over the signal won't be picked up hence why it thinks there is a problem with it.

#5 ·
A bad battery can show good with no real load on it. Then drop once a load is put on it.
It's happened to me more than once.

#6 ·
On your battery test, as others have alluded to, did you measure voltage before trying to start. Then when key is turned on then as the starter button is pushed? You should most likely see it go from 12.4 - 12.1 then 11.8V or so, lower and things are not good. You said voltage dips but didn't say to what level.

#7 ·
Hi guys, I checked battery while off and while ignition was on and while pressing the button, with a volt meter. While pressing the button the voltage drops to around 11.4v which I thought was low so I charged it overnight and tried first thing in the morning again. Battery was fully charged before got ring it but I did not check the voltage while pressing the button after I charged it. Will do that in the morning. But even though the battery was a little flat I would have expected it to at least make a pathetic attempt to crank?

#9 ·
even with a good battery with low voltage yes it should have groaned a little.Salesar90 let me try and restate what/why asking for voltages.
1. voltage after you charge battery gives a starting point for battery condition
2. voltage with ignition turned on gives voltage drop with everything on except headlight.
3. reading when pressing starter button tells again condition of battery and to some extent if starter relay is energizing.

Also if you feel adventurous you can jumper out the starter relay (using a fused jumper)and see if motor turns over. make absolutely sure that bike is in neutral or you might be testing your bike picking up technique. If it does you then know it is in the relay pick up circuit that is not working.
here is the starter circuit in case you don't have it

Attachments

#10 ·
5 year old battery could be dead depending on how the bike was used, and if the battery was on a tender whenever the bike was parked. I changed out my 2010 battery in less than 5 years.

I would pull the battery and get it load tested at the local Auto parts store. They do that for free around here.

#11 ·
Twa is right...
Save time and headache...
Replace battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.