Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Finely Fixed the Throttle Problem

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TS Tinker 
#1 · (Edited)
It started out as a slight hesitation in acceleration many weeks ago. It got worse, much worse until today. I had thought of many ideas including checking all of the electrical connections on the PCV. To no avail I just put up with it until today. I was thinking it might be the electrical throttle valve system. Why couldn't they just use the old method of throttle cables connecting to the butterflies of the throttle body. Anyway, I decided to check the butterfly action in real time with the throttle itself. And there it was. With the ignition on (engine not running) I could see and feel the butterflies hesitating to move when the throttle was twisted open. I then checked to see if there was abnormal resistance in opening the butterflies with my finger. There was not. So, what I decided to try was a simple theory of working the butterflies open and shut open and shut about a dozen times by the throttle with the engine not running. That did the trick. It will be interesting to see if I need to do this in the future.
This might help someone out there with the same problem.

#4 ·
Could be a result of a carbon ring forming around the butterflies. A couple shot of cleaner once or twice a year always seems to help mine, thats about every 10k miles? I also like to run a tank with seafoam at every oil change, just as prevenative maintenance.

#6 ·
Naw, it's as clean as it can be in there. I believe it's the mechanism that rotates the butterflies. I believe I have the fix if it happens again.

#8 ·
I was a major skeptic a number of years ago, but since having begun the exclusive use of Top Tier fuel in all of my vehicles over the past few years, my days of regularly scheduled throttle body and fuel injector cleanings are but a distant memory. And I say good riddance.

Reactions: Boscoe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.