Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Electrical gremlins... Help!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wadegster 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
So I'm having a seriously weird issue right now. I'm on my third amp and don't really have an idea where to look now.

Situation is this:
Stereo with no amp works fine. I added a sound stream amp. Fronts off amp work great. But hooking up rears will blow main 30amp soon as ignition is turned on. I thought this might be because I didn't have rears at the time so I left it alone.

Bought rears last year and installed them. Same thing happened trying to hook rears to amp. Blows main fuse. But they work fine right off the head unit...

I thought maybe an amp issue. Bought a RF and installed it. I made all connections and turned key to acc. Amp turned on for maybe 30secs then all the magic smoke came out of it...

Just picked up an Alpine Ktp-445u and installed it. At first I only connected the fronts. Everything is happy! Then I connected the rears and soon as I turned the key the main blows...

The only thing different between the amps is that the alpine and soundstream have an onboard fuse. The RF didn't. I have a 20amp inline fuse on main power from the battery. Alpine has 15amp onboard

I pulled the tank to look for rubbing/shorts... Nothing... I did the ignition while I was at it, didn't see any bare spots on the wires.

Not sure why main is blowing and not either of the smaller fuses???

I'm drawing a blank here... Any thoughts? Think the power commander could be involved? That's the only other electrical mod that has been done... :serious:

Cheers...

See less See more
#2 ·
suggestions in no particular order.
I would start by ohming out each speaker separately, wire to wire and each wire to ground. Should see basically a short w-w and an open w-gnd

You are using the BK/W & BL/R for the RIGHT rear and BK/BL & BL/W for the LEFT speaker.

I would also check that the amp frame to ground has no voltage, you are powering the amp off it's own power feed aren't you?

The Alpine Ktp-445u manual are switches are set to 4 channel and speaker level input, and the gain set to minimum? There is a warning not to short the speaker wires together or to ground.

Blowing the main 30 amp fuse with 3 different amps would indicate a bike/installation issue. Do you have a set of speakers you could attach externally to see if the problem follows.

These are my ramblings for now. good luck

Just re-looked at schematic and I see that there are 2 BL/W wires on the radio one is for the rear left speaker other is a radio power feed from the 30 amp fuse, could this be the issue? my schematic is a little hard to read the small print but looks like they used same color wires.

#4 ·
Just re-looked at schematic and I see that there are 2 BL/W wires on the radio one is for the rear left speaker other is a radio power feed from the 30 amp fuse, could this be the issue? my schematic is a little hard to read the small print but looks like they used same color wires.
Since it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look, I looked with a magnifying glass and there are indeed 2 BL/W wires at the radio.

#3 ·
The PCV won't have anything to do with it.

I think you need someone to help you (physically be there). There is too many variables and not confident you are articulating yourself properly and we are getting the full picture. I suggest you bench test and hook up everything off the bike so you get it right if you are insistent on trying yourself again. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.