Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Mustang seats?

9K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  flatop 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Voyager with stock seat and a Grasshopper driver back rest. I am thinking of getting the Mustang wide touring seat with driver backrest. Looking for feedback on this seat for driver and from passengers. I am 5'11 and looking for something with more support than stock seat.

#2 ·
When I had my vstar 650 I added a Mustang. It was a huge improvement from the stock seat. However, since upgrading to the vn1700 I find the stock seat to be equally as comfortable as the Mustang.

#4 ·
Personally, I would rather replace two piece seats with two piece seats. If I hadn't of bought the Kawasaki heated seats at the time I purchased the bikes I would go for the Russell Daylong heated seats.

#5 ·
I've tried a Mustang wide touring with driver backrest... I quite liked it. It sat me a little further back, which I solved with a pair of Chuckster's risers. Feet position suited me nicely. The driver backrest didn't hit me in exactly the right spot though. I sorted that out by turning the adjusting knob around so the backrest was further forward.

That seat is now gathering dust in the corner of the shed, and I have a Russell daylong saddle on instead. My pillion hated the Mustang. My being further back was at her expense, so she had not much room. And the pillion portion of the seat was flat, so that every little bump bounced her forward into my backrest.

Happy wife equals happy life... But it was a very expensive exercise.

#6 ·
I love the "Wide Touring One-Piece Studded Seat with Driver Backrest" that I bought used here on the forums. I had gotten both pieces of my factory seat restuffed awhile ago. It was good and I would have kept it that way. Then a good deal on the Mustang came along and I jumped on it.

It is a difference maker. My girlfriend likes it too. It's got more surface area than stock on the drivers seat and the passengerseat. It's a bit thicker for the passenger puts her up a fraction of an inch higher. Makes a difference where the sissy bar backrest hits. Trust me when I say the seat is more comfortable to sit on and great for a longer ride.

This seat is about the best thing I've done on the bike.

Attachments

#8 ·
My tailbone is pretty sensitive when I don't get enough 'support'. Unlike most who have similar symptoms, wooden chairs, bleachers, benches, etc., don't bother me. But motorcycle seats do. When I say uncomfortable, I mean in searing almost unbearable pain. Throbbing, burning, stinging. After 30 minutes or less.

With the Mustang seat I still get some discomfort if I don't stop enough. But I can ride tank to tank as long as I take a minute to stretch and walk around a bit before doing the next stretch. Pretty great!

The biggest change for me is what I call the 'recovery time'. With the stock seat, I would hurt, and then it would take an hour or more for me NOT to hurt. With the Mustang, standing up for 2 or 3 minutes and I'm fine. In fact, on a nice flat straight piece of road, if I'm feeling a little sore, I'm known to stand up in the saddle for 15 or 20 seconds and be good for another 50 miles.

I think I'll need a Russel to be genuinely comfortable for all day riding but that Mustang is as close as I'm ever gonna get off-the-shelf. And man is it great! Definitely gets a recommendation from me. I tried the Kawasaki Gel Seat for the Vaquero and it was only a marginal improvement. I also own the Airhawk 2 and Airhawk Type R seat pads which are also an improvement over stock; but nowhere NEAR the improvement of the Mustang seat.

#9 ·
I installed a Mustang seat with an adjustable back rest. I just returned from a trip and rode 733 miles, only stopping for gas and a sandwich in one day. My wife does not ride so I have no input on passenger comfort. I was fairly comfortable on the 733 mile ride in one day. Of course at each gas stop I was ready to stop and stretch. I think the Mustang is a nice seat.

#10 ·
I have a Mustang Wide Touring on my Voyager; put on just this past april. Had one on the former Suzuki C90 for about 9 years before that.

Comments are for the VV here:
1. backrest is phenomenal. I love the rigidness of it (I can lean back hard against it to adjust my sitting postion if needed or to just stretch my legs if needed while moving) and how it hits my lower back just right
2. cushion on the VV is a little stiffer than what I had on the C90. Very comfortable, but still seems a little harder than what I remember on the C90. guessing that is just new seat to 9 year of use seat I left on ole bike
3. the Mustang did sit me back a hair (will be putting risers on over the winter) and also puts me up a hair. Went from easy flat-foot on stops (with stock seat) to just-can't-quite-flat-foot now. not a big deal for me however
4. passenger seat is flat and passenger does tend to "slide or bounce" towards front if i hit a bump or brake hard. but comfort is A+ according to her. She likes the Mustang much better than the stock

#11 ·
I have similar experiences with a passenger. She slides forward a bit during hard braking. But; truth be told she never minded the stock seat. And usually rides her own. But she does find it very comfortable.

That backrest is a MUST and well worth the extra money. The backrest + highway pegs makes a world of difference, and gives me several different riding positions.

Another nice thing about the Mustang on the Vaquero (moot on the Voyager) is Mustang offers a model with a PASSENGER backrest as well, which works well. The wife feels very secure on the back with that. Kawasaki's OEM backrest for the Vaquero is priced out of this world; close to a grand by the time you buy the requisite brackets and everything. Absolutely ludicrous pricing. I'm not sure if the OEM backrest would even fit with the Mustang seat on or not; but their included, quick release backrest is nice! It normally sits on a shelf but when the wife rides two-up, we just drop it in the slot and tighten the thumbscrew. Good to go.

Reactions: hockeynut52
#12 ·
I put a Mustang wide touring w/ backrest on my 2010 Nomad. I also added Chuckster's bar risers. The combination made the bike all-day comfortable for me. My wife prefers the stock seat, but says the Mustang is fine too - just a little too firm for her tush. So far, this is the best money I've spent on the Nomad.

FYI - if you are an AMA member, order the seat from Bike Bandit (around $630) and get 10% off. Best deal I could find anywhere.

#13 ·
I just ordered the Ultimate seat. I was able to upgrade just the driver part, and leave the passenger seat stock. I don't have a passenger often, so that was important to avoid the cost for now. I had a Mustang on my 900 and the Ultimate on my 2000. I preferred the Ultimate seat in general.

#14 ·
Drivers backrest angle adjust screw

Am I the only one who had concerns about the adjustment screw on the drivers backrest sitting right on the chrome plate that goes into the seat. It's going to wear off the chrome where the bolt rests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.