Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

anybody tried this

6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mikebl 
#1 ·
I was wondering how easy it would be to adapt the Harley control module that allows the use of the handlebar radio controls to the voyager controls. I am interested in changing the stock radio to a marine one with bluetooth and mp3 etc built in, I find the stock radio a little blase, I am not interested in the overpriced xm or the weather channel as I never use them anyway.

So has anyone done this modification? or comments on whether it would be doable, I would think it would just be a matter of matching the wires on the Harley module to the correct wire on the stock radio.

#2 ·
I looked at the wiring quickly and I think it is doable. Would need a HD harness to plug into the module and HD wiring schematic to figure it out. You want to be the first? I'll help you with it... Cause I hate the stock radio.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Well just ordered a sony dsx m50bt marine radio and the PAC SWI-RC, on its way now, will be interesting as the fellows at PAC who make the SWI-RC say it should work based on the wiring schematic I sent them of the Voyager radio. I guess we will see. If it doesn't at least the radio comes with a remote I can use.

#9 ·
Update, did the swap today, used a sony dsx m50bt radio, that works fine, you lose the handlebar controls so I wired up a PAC swi-rc as per the instructions from their technical support after emailing them and asking, I also sent them the whole manual so they could look at the electrical hook up of the radio and nothing, didn't work at all, so I will be removing the swi-rc, too bad though but I do have the wireless remote with the radio and will try the radio for a while, had to make a front adapter plate to match the hole left by the OEM radio but otherwise not too bad. I will see what PAC says about the hook up but I am not going to keep taking the fairing off to experiment so will leave as is for now. You do have to but the wire and splice resistors into the wires and then ground three of them, not sure if they have to be ground separately or not as the drawing PAC set me shows them all attached together.

#10 ·
further update IT WORKS, called Aaron at their tech support, and after doing the initial programming, you have to reset the dial on the SWI-RC to either 7 or 8, tried 8, nothing. Went to 7 and it now works, I have volume control and source control like I had before. Now I have a better radio with all the IPOD, aux in, BT for phone and easy amp hook up. If anyone is interested in doing the same conversion, let me know and I will post here the connection. be advised though you will lose the CB, but I don't know of anyone who uses that anyway.

#14 ·
I will see if I can get some tomorrow, but I want to finish it off with a nice wood grain formica panel to cover the lexan I used for the trim, going to look for a small piece tomorrow and try it out.

#16 · (Edited)
It is, and if I had read all the instructions it would have been clearer, as it is I misunderstood and thought the vehicle version was what was needed on the dial, of course that is not the case and it was an easy fix. I now have volume + - and mute on the one switch and source, track down, and preset on the other, for some reason is will not recognize track up. No big deal as the volume to me was the most important. Track up does work but only if I at say song 210 or whatever, then it will not go to the next track but goes directly to track one, so it may be a setting in the Itouch itself, have to look at that.

Attachments

#17 ·
Problem solved with track up, the wired remote plug that is required to attach the SWI-RC to the radio was not in all the way, slightly larger so not able to go in, sanded a bit of the rubber off the male end and bingo, track up now works fine. For those interested in doing the same conversion please find the wiring diagram attached, the resistors needed are included in the swi-rc package, if you need to know the different values just let me know.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.