Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Deer season / fall riding tips

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TS Tinker 
#1 ·
I wanted to share a couple of safety tips for fall riding. Here in West Ky corn will be coming out in the next few weeks. You can expect deer at times when they usually aren't active. This is a precursor to rut activity and then anytime is time to watch out for them. If you see agricultural activity It's a good time to raise your awareness.
Try this trick that has saved me (possibly) around 4 times. I wait until I catch a cage passing by and use them for a blocker. Again I have had 4 different occasions where the car I followed hit a deer. This isn't bulletproof but I'll still keep following.
My next tip is to watch where driveways meet the road. With heavy rains becoming more regular watch the gravel wash.
Last but not least... I'm going to rage one more time about lawnmowers throwing grass on the road. Hopefully this will be over soon. I'm not talking about a few clippings I'm talking about the fools throwing enough grass to cover the center line. (you know who you are). I'm trying to gather enough info to pursue legislation. My aggravation led to reality when a friend wet down hitting grass on a rural hiway. Simple courtesy, make a pass to throw it back off the roa before you finish mowing.
Any other tip? Chime in, I'd like to keep it upright.

Jimmy D

See less See more
#2 ·
In the spring, when daylight savings time starts for us humans, the deer refuse to participate*. They get used to traffic starting an hour later and are still wandering the roads when the early risers get started.

I go to work very early. There is one stretch of road (not even two miles long) that I have to be extra careful of for a week or so after the spring time change. Every spring time change one or two deer get killed along this stretch. I always have to dodge a deer at least once during that week.

*I tried to not participate, but it didn't work out, sigh. I hate friggin' daylight savings time!

#4 ·
Deer are so prevalent in our area last night on the way back from supper with friends we past a solo doe and my wife did that chick thang,awh she's all by her self.

I have two observations. If the deer are feeding or otherwise stationary maintain your speed and pass through them. If they are active or moving around a lot stop or move through the area slowly.

There are some that think loud pipes scare them away. Loud pipes just freak them out. They are just as likely to jump on the bike with you as they are to run away.

#6 ·
The one thigh I have learned about deer is that you will never figure them out. But defense is a good offense. Ride near the yellow line, look far ahead and not at your radio. Slow down and cover the brake.

If you strike one, keep true and alert. You might not go down if you don't panic.

#7 ·
Deer "Whistles"

Any opinions on those sonic devices people put on the fronts of their cars? Like a dog whistle, they are supposed to alert the deer of your approach.

In our area we not only have lots of deer, but still have lots of very young fawns. The does are generally cautious crossing roads, but the fawns will just dart across. I almost hit a pair of them the other day. Luckily I saw the doe cross ahead of me, and was looking for them.

#8 ·
Any opinions on those sonic devices people put on the fronts of their cars? Like a dog whistle, they are supposed to alert the deer of your approach.

In our area we not only have lots of deer, but still have lots of very young fawns. The does are generally cautious crossing roads, but the fawns will just dart across. I almost hit a pair of them the other day. Luckily I saw the doe cross ahead of me, and was looking for them.

Other than making someone a millionaired, no scientific evidence supporting the claim is what I recall reading a few years ago. If we knew deer would run away from us, we could just blast our stereos. When they panic, there is no predicting which way they run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.