Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tried the dark side, Came back into the light

8K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  tstorey823 
#1 ·
I put on a General Altiman RT43 195/55R-16. I know, all the dardsiders swear by the 205/60R-16 but never the less. I tried it for about 150 miles. I wasn't comfortable leaning into a turn and feeling the sidewall flex. Especially from a stand start. Car tires are designed to do that to keep the tread as flat on the road as possible. Exactly the opposite is true for a motorcycle tire. Thats definitely not for me. It made the speedometer show 5 mph faster than actual and odometer register 5% more miles than actual. I know, the diameter of the wheel and tire is a full inch smaller than the stock tire. Also there could be a liability issue. The bike was not designed for that type tire. Insurance being what it is, could or might refuse to pay any liability claim or damage claim if it related to a tire issue, claiming a non-approved modification. I don't want to be the one to test them. Anywho, I put my Commander II back on. 5500 miles on it and it still looks knew. When it was new, it had 10/32" tread. Now after 5500 miles it still has almost 8/32" tread left. Should get decent milage out of it. I probably have a more conservative riding style than most. It's not a sport bike so I don't try to ride it like it is. So, I tried the dark side to see what it was like. Not for me. Back into the light.

#2 ·
Sidewall flex on car tires is normal and will not effect the reliability of the tire unless the pressure is too low. If the pressure is where it should be, there should be minimal flex in the sidewall. As far as contact patch of tread to the road in turns, I have seen many videos of people who went darkside and from what I've seen, the contact patch is as good as motorcycle tires, or better with darkside. And you can't argue with the mileage car tires get. I'm considering going to the darkside when the time comes for a new tire. Only thing holding me back is finding a place that will mount a car tire to a motorcycle rim. As far as insurance goes, they can deny a claim for any reason. They make money by keeping it. Not by paying out claims.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the schooling on tires and insurance. I figured my post on MY experience would bring out the die hard darksiders. A lecture on tires and how wonderful car tires on a motorcycle and insurance both, wow. Contact patch in a turn wasn't a concern. Possible you misunderstood what I was getting at. I tried different pressures and could still feel the flex, and didn't like it. I guess I could have gone to 100 psi but I thought that might be slightly on the high side. I wasn't questioning the reliability of a tire based on the sidewall flex. Not being an expert on tires, but I would think that any tire is subject to failure for whatever reason. I just wanted to try it and didn't like it. I realize others have different opinions, and all swear and be dammed theirs is the right one. And, the tire everyone is running is the best and they get thousands and thousands on miles out of it. I like to try things for myself and see. I remember someone saying "...trust but verify...". O, yeah, it was Ronnie. Since I can mount my own tires just thought I'd give it a try. Like I said, it wasn't for me. I don't hold anything against anyone for running a car tire we all have our own likes and dislikes. I don't doubt you've seen many many videos on people who went darkside. I too have seen some, though maybe not many many, but some none the less. Wonder why so many places won't mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim. Just saying.......

#7 ·
I didn't take offense. Just being facetious. My brand of humor. Now I've been schooled in forum decorum. Oooops, their I go again, being facetious. Lets all just take a deep breath, we'll get thru this, it will all be ok. Try to find some humor in what I posted. Not bent out of shape either. Life is to short to get bent out of shape over trivial things. Maybe big things but not these. I have a tire changer similar to the Harbor Freight one. Didn't have any problem changing either tire. As a matter of fact the car tire was quit a lot easier to change than the motorcycle tire. Again, not being any kind of expert, I suspect it's a liability issue regardless of what they say. Try to get them to put a plug in a tire if it's in certain areas. Well,this is my opinion and view, all mine, I'm entitled to it. If anyone disagrees with it, so be it, doesn't matter to me, their entitled as well and I respect that. If you've been shot at as many times as I have in a past life then what a few people say about you is really petty and trivial. Moving along, I wanted to see if anyone has any experience replacing the wheel bearings on the VV. Probably get stepped on like a cockroach..(meant to be funny). Doesn't look like you can get behind them to drift them out. IDK. The book calls for a special tool. Just wondering. Time for my chill pill...

#9 ·
Oil? Now thems is fighting words!

Oil. it's like hand grenades. Everybody should run and duck for cover. A few numbskulls will stand and take the shrapnel. Not too smart but dam if thier not gonna tell you yor a fool not to use thier brand weight qty. skrew tires, oil will gitt em fired up pronto. BAM! So best use my brand Mobil 1 syn, I even let you choose yor own weight n qty. ponchout

#10 ·
Oil. it's like hand grenades. Everybody should run and duck for cover. A few numbskulls will stand and take the shrapnel. Not too smart but dam if thier not gonna tell you yor a fool not to use thier brand weight qty. skrew tires, oil will gitt em fired up pronto. BAM! So best use my brand Mobil 1 syn, I even let you choose yor own weight n qty. ponchout
Amen to that:grin2:

#11 ·
The Altimax is notorious for sidewall flex. That's why I switched to the TripleTred. At least you kept an open mind and gave it a try though. Thanks for your honest opinion.

#12 ·
Have been using a OSHTU 205/60/16 for a year now, took some time to get comfy with it, now no issues. Like you Pilot I'll be going back to the Commander after this tire is worn out, the difference is, not sure what I'll use next. The Commander had 9k on it when I installed the CT and it still has 4/32 tread left. I figure to top 20k on the CT before it gets to the wear bars, its a 30k mile tire unlike most that are used that are 60k mile tires.

#13 ·
Rick, what's your reasoning for going back to the MT from the CT? Just curious.

#16 · (Edited)
I put on a General Altiman RT43 195/55R-16. I know, all the dardsiders swear by the 205/60R-16 but never the less.
what was your reasoning in going with a different SIZE than preferred tire size? do you think it added to your discomfort?

oil eh? i use shell Rotella T6.... DIESEL OIL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:devil2:

#17 ·
Leave it to me to pick the wrong tire. I thought the Genteral Altiman was the tire. Maybe that size wasn't the preferred size, I was worried about having sufficient clearance. It's hard to believe their would be a dramatic difference in the sidewall flex. It would seem to me that they all have some flex. I don't know. Anyway I don't think it's for me. Hats off to all who do. BTW, Amsoil

#21 ·
Yep..... dark-side is not for everybody...... that lean wiggle makes people nervous I guess.... after about 500 miles you don't notice it as much, after 30 years not at all...

#23 ·
When I have cornered truthful darksiders and asked them, they all admitted that it takes getting used to. The do get pushed around by road imperfections, and it takes more effort to turn in and hold a turn.

Some do it because they can't buy motorcycle tires that can carry them and the Mrs. Some do it because they are cheap. Some do it just to do it.

It is interesting that you only see car tires on low lean angle cruisers.

#24 ·
When I have cornered truthful darksiders and asked them, they all admitted that it takes getting used to. The do get pushed around by road imperfections, and it takes more effort to turn in and hold a turn.

Some do it because they can't buy motorcycle tires that can carry them and the Mrs. Some do it because they are cheap. Some do it just to do it.

It is interesting that you only see car tires on low lean angle cruisers.
not sure why you would have to "Corner a Truthful" ds to get that info. its what they say from the gittgo.. Some love em, some hate em. it is watt it is. everbody gott choices.

as for only cruisers? The first DS tires I saw and inquired where on GoldWings. when I finally got some answers as to WHY? it is because (at the time) mc tires didn't last long enough for Long Distance Touring w/o, Yes Expensive changes in far away places.. CTs gave them the ability to go all season on One rear tire Long distance and multiple trips, etc.. It only morphed over to the cruiser/bruiser market when PHATT Tyres were the in thing..
now just like blue Jeans, Skinny tyres are all the rage.. poncho

#27 ·
I'm with poncho thank you for your service.I too missed Nam by a couple of yrs. Live not too far from you over here in NC. Maybe we can ride down the highway dodging cagers sometime Peace out
Bruce

#28 ·
Hey Pilot, its been awhile but if you haven't already headed north of the border, perhaps we can meetup again Saturday afternoon. Have something going on in the morning, but free the rest of the day. Perhaps meet around Waleska or Talking Rock?

#29 ·
I've been riding dark side now for a year and a half and have no intention of going back. I did locate a tire shop that will not only mount the tires but also install my dyna beads too. great ride best and smoothest I've ever had in my 25+ years riding.

#31 ·
"Wonder why so many places won't mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim. Just saying." That's easy. The answer to every question is "money". Money is the reason EVERYTHING happens or does not happen. Bike shops don't stock or sell car tires. If they allow you to bring them a car tire to install on your bike, they only get get money for the labor alone to mount the tire and install it. They will see you again in 30,000 or so miles for the next tire install. If they allow you to bring them a motorcycle tire to install (I don't know of any dealers that will do this, but many independent shops will), they will only make a labor charge for the install, but will at least see you again in 10,000 or so miles for the next tire change. If they sell you a motorcycle tire, they made about a 30% profit on the tire PLUS the labor to install, and they will see you again in about 10,000 (20,000 for Michelin Commander II) or so miles for the next tire. There's just no money to be made installing tires (or other parts, for that matter) that the customer brings with him or her to their shop. You don't see restaurants allowing people to bring in their food from home and ask them to cook it. A shop's PROFITABILITY is made with a combination of labor charges and markup on parts. That half of that equation away and they lose profitability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.