Cleaned air filter, now it won't start. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned air filter, now it won't start.

So, I cleaned my K&N air filter on my EN500C '07. Now, it wont start. Is it possible to over saturate the air filter with oil? and what would happen if said air filter oil possibly got sucked into the carbs? AYUDAME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBroussard View Post
So, I cleaned my K&N air filter on my EN500C '07. Now, it wont start. Is it possible to over saturate the air filter with oil? and what would happen if said air filter oil possibly got sucked into the carbs? AYUDAME!
Hey Broussard. Anything is theoretically possible with the right facts and statistics being tweaked.

Have you pulled off the air filter to see if it is over-soaked? Did you follow the instructions? I'm sure you did but just wondering.

Have you checked to see if you may have disconnected or pulled something loose and it isn't re-connected?

Did you check to see if your fuel tap is working properly or is in the right position?

If you want to clean out your carb bowl to see if you got too much contamination just use the drain and a small plastic container until the fuel comes out clean. If there was contamination use SeaFoam as per its instructions.

There are a various no-start reasons and I'm just offering a few off-hand things to do or check since I assume based on your post that the bike must have been running and all you did was perform an air filter servicing. Post up if you find anything else out. Wish you success.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
WB,
I doubt it is just the filter; but try starting it with the filter removed.

My K&N had so much oil in it when it was new that a couple of days after the install; it was leaking out of my air box.

Commanche has some good questions and advice; but I will shorten it a bit.
Were you doing other maintenance when you oiled your filter?

Also, I think the oil could gum things up a bit; but probably would not cause the problem you are describing.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

It was literally working just fine, before I did ONLY the cleaning and re-oiling of the K&N filter. I did over oil that filter cause that pink stuff was dripping out of my air box. I think some oil did get in the carbs, cause when I try to start it, the bike chugs like it wants to but just can't make it. So, threw some seafoam in the tank. I guess now, I just have to load the carbs with seafoam gas and wait for the stuff to eat away at the oil.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
It was literally working just fine, before I did ONLY the cleaning and re-oiling of the K&N filter. I did over oil that filter cause that pink stuff was dripping out of my air box. I think some oil did get in the carbs, cause when I try to start it, the bike chugs like it wants to but just can't make it. So, threw some seafoam in the tank. I guess now, I just have to load the carbs with seafoam gas and wait for the stuff to eat away at the oil.
If that much oil got into the combustion chambers you may need too clean/replace the plugs.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Have you tried removing the filter and starting it? If you filter is over saturated; your engine may be starving for air.

I would make sure the battery is fully charged then remove the filter and try starting it.

If it still is difficult have a friend spray a very small amount of ether based lubricating starting fluid in the air box while you try to start it.
Don't run your starter for more than a few seconds at a time. And be sure to let it cool after a couple of tries.

I would not use ether on any kind of regular basis though. If your bike won't start without it; have it looked at.

I can't imagine much oil getting into the carb from the filter; but if it has it should pass through pretty easily.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode