Consequences of Overfilling Fuel Tank - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
old

Garage
Consequences of Overfilling Fuel Tank

What bad things happen when this is done? I live close to gas station, fill my tank when returning from a ride. With bike on side stand, I can't seem to keep from filling the tank slightly above the bottom of the inner neck. Had one incident during the summer where fuel leaked thru the carbs.........my theory is the heat caused a pressure build (tank could not vent) up within the tank, and the petcock allowed fuel to flow to the carbs, which also could not contain the extra pressure. Opinions?

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
This is just an opinion....I would think with the cool weather now you shouldn't have any issues with expansion and leakage. If you're worried, you could always just ride around for another 20 miles or so to lower the level.

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 AM

Huh? Why can't you "keep from filling the tank slightly above the bottom of the inner neck"? When I'm filling up, I just watch the gas level rise and when it's a couple inches or so below the rim, I release the nozzle trigger. No problems. Maybe I'm missing something here.

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan EN-500C, 20k
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Top Contributor

Sounds like first step is to check/confirm the tank vent isn't partially pinched/obstructed.

Filling to the bottom or somewhat higher than the bottom of the filler neck is fairly commonplace. While my Vulcan isn't the same model, I usually fill into the neck some. On some occasions way into the neck. I went too far once trying to make for an extended refuel ride and had a little gas leak out of the overflow/vent tube. I think I got about a gallon or so more in than stopping at the bottom of the filler.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to markstep
I agree with whoaru99, that there may be a problem with your vent tube. I fill into the neck all the time without a problem. I do hear my tank vent on occasion, but have never had a problem with leaking yet.

2003 1500 Meanstreak
Hardchrome pipes
saddle bags
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
old

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Robert View Post
Huh? Why can't you "keep from filling the tank slightly above the bottom of the inner neck"? When I'm filling up, I just watch the gas level rise and when it's a couple inches or so below the rim, I release the nozzle trigger. No problems. Maybe I'm missing something here.
I just want it as full as possible and mis-judge the level with the bike sitting on the side stand. If I'm going to continue riding, I don't worry about it.............in a few miles the level will be drawn down to below the neck. The "leaking" thing has only occured once, and that was in the heat of hot summer.

I was just curious. Will probably continue the way I'm doing it now unless there is a problem in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. I don't ever hear any noises coming from the vent system, so assume it is working properly.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
P.S. I don't ever hear any noises coming from the vent system, so assume it is working properly.
But you should hear your gas cap venting, especially on a hot day. It's a whistling sound. It may be clogged, so unclog from the inside (cap open) with a small wire.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
old

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post
But you should hear your gas cap venting, especially on a hot day. It's a whistling sound. It may be clogged, so unclog from the inside (cap open) with a small wire.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Sounds like first step is to check/confirm the tank vent isn't partially pinched/obstructed.
^^^^ This.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
Yeah, that's actually a bad sign. You should be able to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode