Cliff notes. .
1. mechanic screwed around with my bike
2. cleaned my carbs, and I developed a strong hesitation at low fuel input ( typical symptom of pilot air screw adjustment )
3. adjusted pilot air screw to eliminate symptom BUT, ( I will count turns later today because I suspect that the adjustment eliminated the symptom at around 3 turns out, which is a LOT)
4. mpg's took a cliff dive ever since the bike was returned from the mechanic.
Bike detailes = 500 ltd 17 tooth front sprocket, Dyna mufflers, K&N air filter stock jets. 23K miles.
Looking for ideas as to where to begin my scavenger hunt as to what is causing such bad mpgs.
Here are a few suggestions to look at:
1) Check the carburetor float level using the 'wet' method. It should be even with the bowl flange +1.5/-0.5mm
2) Verify the jetting. The mains should be 102 and the pilots 35
3) Inspect the needle jet/jet needle for wear. Any significant wear will cause it to run richer. Has someone 'shimmed' the jet needle? If so remove the shim(s). If there is an e-clip on the jet needle it is an aftermarket part and by design they tend to run richer. Get an OEM jet needle with N2WE stamped on it.
4) Are the slides working properly? Are the springs in good condition? Does the jet needle holder secure the jet needle?
5) The pilot screw doesn't do a whole lot beyond 10% throttle so I wouldn't fret too much about it. 3 rounds is pretty close to what mine are. I think one is 2 1/2 and the other is 3 1/2 turns.
6) Check carburetor synchronization. (i.e. balance the carbs) Look up 'DIY manometer' for how to make one yourself.
Hidalgo has been averaging 39-40 mpg lately. But that's fighting the west Texas wind, 70 mph and a huge windshield. Whenever I slow down, like I did last year riding the 'Dragon' and Cherohala Skyway, it jumped up to about 55 mpg.
Hope this gives you hope.
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
182,000+ miles so far
SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Fiamm air horns, Cobra Spots, LED Rider ProMod Spots, Drifter solo seat, Pro-Tac backrest, 17/42 sprockets, Darkside rear on 500A rim, ScottOiler, F&S luggage rack ,Throttle Rocker, Viking bags, Victory Vegas handlebars, Kuryakyn grips, LED & HID lighting, 4-gal AUX fuel tank, etc...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.