Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Right Muffler Spitting Flames

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Blaine 
#1 ·
So rather recently it seems, my right side muffler will pop and spit a 3-4inch flame off with it, Usually it happens under moderate to heavy throttle to let off. I have heard that its because its to lean, I've also heard that it means your running to rich, I have checked all my clamps and bolts and it doesn't seem to be the cause of it. I also took the mufflers off and it still did it then. Any idea on how to fix this? My bike runs perfectly fine, I'm just concerned that I'm running too lean and doing damage to something.

P.S. I am on factory exhaust nothing aftermarket.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Unmetered, raw unburnt fuel entering the exhaust...you've got a runaway carb float valve problem

Furthermore, i'd suggest checking the crankcase oil for fuel contamination too.
If the oil level has *risen*...correct the carb problem...flush the oil by changing once with cheap stuff...run a mile or two and change again with your final choice oil.

This condition can be deadly for main and rod bearings

Don't blow this off...its serious.

#7 · (Edited)
Im not to sure. I only got the bike a few weeks ago. Its only got 8k miles, and I just took my carbs out and took off the floats and from my first reaction I don't think that is the problem. They are real clean, and it fires right up and runs without problems performance wise. I think it might just be an air/fuel ratio problem, possibly running a little lean. But I'm not 100% sure how to adjust that

#8 ·
a little lean? not quite

what is burning, flaming out the exhaust? ....fuel
how is fuel getting there? .....passing raw, unburned from the combustion chamber...out the exhaust valves... into the exhaust system
where is the excess fuel coming from? ....the carburetor(s)
what controls and regulates on/off flow within the carb(s)? ...the float system

#10 ·
When you have a carb flooding the extra fuel goes into the combustion chamber & washes down past the rings into the crankcase & into the oil.......The rings are not designed to hold back fuel.......Especially when the engine is not running......Trust me when I say you were given solid advise from Ducatiman.......You asked a question & given a solution......We have been there before & seen this problem.

#13 ·
^ Absolutely, yes. You've got to pull your carbs regardless. While there...service (clean) them correctly...replace ALL consumables and float valves with new, performing the clear tube test I posted earlier in the thread. During the testing procedure...adjust float levels as necessary, assuring the new valves are, in fact, holding and not leaking past.

Attachments

#15 ·
Im sure this has nothing to do with it but I noticed my throttle was sticking about a week ago or so and found that the return cable was ripped in half and was sticking within the rubber hose so I just pulled the return cable out and had just a throttle cable because I assumed the spring on the carb throttle would close itself. Does running without the return cable do anything harmful?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.