1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 500
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
odd acceleration issue

Last year on a really hot day, I was left work everything running fine. I went to an event and it sat for about an hour. I went to start it, it wouldn't start, just crank and crank and crank. I finally got it started but it was running like complete crap. I would rev, but when I would accelerate beyond a few thousand rpm's. I nursed it home ( only a few blocks). I started to drain the gas thinking it was bad gas, towards the end I started it to get all the gas out of the, it started right up drove it around the block everything was fine......

Fast forward until yesterday.....

I took it out on Saturday, everything ran fine. Drove it about 50 miles or so. Sunday I took the bike out of the garage, it sat outside for about 20 minutes, (80 degrees F). Wouldn't start again... finally got it started, same thing. It drives like I have the choke out one notch. Then suddenly, runs fine, then starts acting up again. I'm completely lost on this one... The only thing I can think of is something in the carburetor is stuck.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoo View Post
Last year on a really hot day, I was left work everything running fine. I went to an event and it sat for about an hour. I went to start it, it wouldn't start, just crank and crank and crank. I finally got it started but it was running like complete crap. I would rev, but when I would accelerate beyond a few thousand rpm's. I nursed it home ( only a few blocks). I started to drain the gas thinking it was bad gas, towards the end I started it to get all the gas out of the, it started right up drove it around the block everything was fine......

Fast forward until yesterday.....

I took it out on Saturday, everything ran fine. Drove it about 50 miles or so. Sunday I took the bike out of the garage, it sat outside for about 20 minutes, (80 degrees F). Wouldn't start again... finally got it started, same thing. It drives like I have the choke out one notch. Then suddenly, runs fine, then starts acting up again. I'm completely lost on this one... The only thing I can think of is something in the carburetor is stuck.

Thoughts?
sounds like a fuel issue,lots of help Here,Didn't say what your Ridn
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
DERP.....

2008 Vulcan 500

Clearly, I need more coffee... more sleep... more alcohol.... something.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoo View Post
DERP.....

2008 Vulcan 500

Clearly, I need more coffee... more sleep... more alcohol.... something.
lol,Hopefully Bikerbill will chime in,king of 500,know these bikes inside out
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Its just a really odd issue, I bet if I let it sit for a few days it'll go back to normal again.

I love my bike, but some days...... lol
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Clearly there is a problem,would start w fresh gas and some seafoam,Have a fuel filter on it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing beyond stock. So I would guess there's one somewhere. I do have the Haynes book to it so I will look at that to see where it is.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Garage
This is a 'Shoot from the Hip' approach because we can't easily recreate the problem for proper troubleshooting. Unless the problem can be recreated I'm going to make a couple of suggestions:

You say in both instances that it sat outside for a time before giving trouble. I assume that this was in the bright sunshine. It could be that the sunshine was warming the tank and fuel, pressurizing it through a faulty tank vent. This could override a carburetor float valve, therefore flooding it and the airbox. Check the airbox drain tube in front of the rear tire and drain it. (it's the one with that's plugged and has a plastic tank at the bottom of it.) Also check the oil level, it could be contaminated with fuel. If it is change the oil and filter too.

Try this to see if the tank is pressurizing: put the bike out in the sunshine (with at least 1/2 tank of fuel) for 20-30 minutes then open the cap. If you get a large rush of air outward when you open it the vent assembly is probably faulty. There is no official test. The vent assembly is inside the fuel cap and is cleaning it is not listed in the Service Manual. But with a bit of care it can easily be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. Take pictures!

The other idea is that, along with the above, one of the spark plugs may be fouling. I had problems with the stock DR9EA spark plugs early on so I switched to the slightly hotter DR8EA spark plug. It is listed as an alternative spark plug for the bike.

Hope this helps.
Bokobob likes this.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 189,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 18,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the information.....

I have some great starting points for this weekend.

I did think about the seal on the tank, and it doesn't pop or anything like that when I open the lid, HOWEVER, I have heard it "whine" when it's out in the sun before, or right after I rode it, it makes a whine or squeal very faint, and it's from the gas cap for sure. I will certainly check those other things and take some pictures as well.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I checked the tank today, no puff of air or anything like that. I does smell gassy though. So I would have to agree that it's flooding or at least acting it does. I haven't messed with the airbox yet, partially because I don't know where it is. I see 1 clear tube and 2 black tubes. I know, that's terrible. I usually just take it in when I need work done on it. But I did notice something on the left carb. See the attached picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfler86m1r..._0714.JPG?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode