Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Bike wont start?

4K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  KSC94 
#1 ·
Hello, i have a Kawasaki vulcan 500 year 1994. Yesterday i was riding around, just practicing my riding im rather new to it. Just doing some basic take off practice mostly. Bout an hour or 2 into riding i parked the bike, turned it off to go use the bathroom. Came back to it turned the key, and went to hit the start button and all it made was a clicking noise from the starter relay solenoid. When i got this bike, the previous owner put a new battery in it as i picked it up. With help from friends when i first got it we put in a new starter this was 3 weeks ago. Its been ridden around for those 3 weeks without issue from starting. But now everytime i hit the start button the solenoid clicks once and the lights all dim until i release the starter button. Any help would be appreciated.

#8 ·
These bikes don't charge well when idling round....If you were just going slow you may of just killed the battery from low RPM......With bike idling should show around 13 volts......Around 14,2 to 14.6 when reved up.......My guess is just idling low killed the battery.But best to check with a meter & be sure......If not charging than regulator is first suspect.

#10 ·
Well i had a new battery pre charged and hooked it up and it still did the same thing. I didn't get a hold of a multi meter today so couldn't check the volts in those stages. But with the new battery would if of not started right on if it was the battery?

#11 ·
The new starter fixed the grinding. I do not have the old starter, at that time a few weeks ago it was at my friends house and i went over there to work on it and i am guessing he took the starter and junked it without my say so. The bike is old, the speedometer on the bike wasn't hooked up when i got it previous owner didnt use it he used an app, but it says 24k on that. Title says 40k so unsure of the true miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.