Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Fan wiring?

5K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  pjckm 
#1 ·
So I noticed today that my fan only has one wire on the connector, the other has been cut or severed, but I can't figure out where it should be.

The existing wire I believe is blue with a black tracer and the severed wire is black with a yellow tracer.

I thought electrical tape clued me in to the issue, but I was wrong. An exposed yellow wire very near the fan connector looked out of place, but why would it be yellow and not black and yellow?

I checked both blue and yellow wires to determine which should be ground, but both had 12v.

So, I am not sure where the fan ground should be and I also don't know what this mysterious powered yellow wire is for. Help anyone?

#3 · (Edited)
The fan works fine, the bike has around 18k and I've had it since November. It's stock so far as I know. The battery had been cut out, so those wires were replaced but I've not had any other electrical issues except this one. I looked to the sensor at the radiator to trace that wiring but it went back into the harness.

If someone could just tell me where that ground wire should be and what the yellow 12v source near that plug on the harness is, I think I'd get good to go. Of course I can just make up a ground but I'd like to know where it went and make it correct.

#8 ·
The wiring diagram I found shows that ground running to the temp switch,but like I said, the wiring disappears into the harness, so I don't know where I should be expect to find it. I would think it would be coming out of the harness where the power for the fan is, but I don't see it.

Like I said, I can make it work, so a diagram isn't really necessary. I'm trying to find the physical location of the wire

#10 ·
Okay, so the switch frees up power, not ground. So the blue wire provides the 12v from the switch to the fan. Thats all fine. So I just need to know where this ground cable is supposed to be. Obviously I can just make up a ground to a nearby spot, but I would like to know where the black/yellow wire should be found.

I'm guessing the nearby solid yellow is an accessory wire, since it is near the ignition. Should there be some sort of cap for this?

#12 ·
Im pretty sure i saw a yellow on the second page listed as accessory, I just want to confirm and know how its supposed to be capped off.

The ground is completely gone, so the fan doesnt come on, which is why i am trying to resolve the problem. You asked if the fan worked, so i figured you just wanted to know whether the fan was broken. I simply meant the fan is in working condition and comes on if a 12v source is hooked to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.