Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Grinding/scraping sound from crankcase.

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  fastpakr 
#1 ·
When starting her cold there is this disgusting grinding/scraping sound screaming from her crankcase (left side cover, next to shifter)

It typically quiets down after she fully warms up but I can still hear bits of it very intermittently during my rides. I've scoured the internet and I believe it can be one of three things.

1) "Perfectly normal, mine's got that sound and still runs great at XYZ miles"

2) "Oil is cold and therefore slightly thicker, causing the plates to stick. Once warmed up the plates slide off eachother"

3) "Cam chain tensioner needs cleaning/adjustment/replaced"

Reddit's /r/fixxit believes its the starter clutch, mainly because its coming from the left, and yes thats where its loudest but also you can hear bits of it from the right aswell

Anyway heres the video:
https://vid.me/Eg5O

Any ideas folks? Thanks

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I am inclined to believe that the noise is coming from the cam chain tensioner. You can either let it click over to the next notch in its own sweet time or force it over with my 'patented procedure'. :)

Reactions: Danielseulkee
#6 ·
does the tensioner rattle and grind like that? Also i've read about your "patented procedure" when I was scouring this forum haha really cool but if the noise is harmless than I'd rather mama Kawi do her thing. I'm not really annoyed with the sound, just concerned that it may be a problem that could get expensive should I put off repairs. I am inclined to trust your and fastpakr's opinions as you two have more miles under your belts than I'll probably have ever

#7 ·
The nice thing about the cam tensioner is that when it finally clicks over your ears will wonder what just happened. There was once noise and then just sweet engine exhaust sounds. And it will happen while you are letting the motor warm up.

#8 ·
Have you any other ideas or possible problems based on that rattle Mr Bikerbill? The folks over a reddit are telling me "don't start her again until you know what the problem is" they seem to think this is a killer and its got me worried. I hope its just overreactions on their part

#9 ·
Due to the limitations of your microphone I am going to stay with the cam chain tensioner diagnosis. It sounds like there is a slight rythmic 'ringing' along with the 'slapping' sound I hear. To me that points to the loose timing chain/cam chain tensioner.

Other 'high pitched' noises possible:
Piston 'slap' - I don't hear it
Excessive valve lash/clearance - It doesn't get as loud as what you have
Exhaust header pipe rattle - is more of a 'buzz'
Exhaust gases escaping from the 'weep hole' near the crossover pipe. (If so then the above exhaust header pipe rattle isn't too far behind. :) ) - is more of a 'hissing' sound

Since you seem to have a few mechanical skills I would suggest my manual adjustment of the cam chain tensioner. It's quick to do and will rule out the tensioner as the culprit if the sound remains. Here is the post for the procedure: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/101599-post17.html
Also here is the thread that goes with the post: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/50-vulcan-500/13320-no-power.html Post 13 has a video with the same noise yours seems to have. Compare them and decide.

Regarding the other folks showing caution, I can't blame them for their position. It's called CYA.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.