Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Stripped bolt during valve adjustment

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mcdowell92 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Vulcan 500.

I'm unsure if/when the previous owner did a valve adjustment so I decided it's best that I check. I got all the way to removing the cylinder head bolts when I noticed two slightly stripped bolts (w/ phillips head). All my efforts to actually remove these has made things worse and now I've run out of ideas. Here's what I've tried:

1. Hammering a philips screwdriver in place. (nope)
2. Dremmel a new knotch on top for a flat head (dremmel wouldn't fit in the space very well)
2. Vise grips (can't get a good grip - not enough space)
3. JB weld - attaching a bolt on top via JB weld and using that to get ahold. (jb weld failed, bolt came off)

The biggest problem is where these bolts are located. The space directly above the bolt is only 2-3" due to the frame being overhead. This is not enough space to use a screw extractor or any kind of drill.

Soooooo.... what else do I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Try using a NEW #3 Phillips screwdriver or bit with some valve grinding compound on the tip. Tap on the end of the screwdriver or bit to seat it before turning it.

Good luck.

Reactions: sfair
#3 · (Edited)
Ahhh yeah these are total bullshit. I encountered this recently when adjusting my valves. What a horrible idea it was putting a phillips head bolt here. Replaced mine with regular hex head from the hardware store.

So Mine were stuck really good, bike was outside untouched for 5 years or so. Even just trying immediately proved they wouldn't move with a phillips and it would just strip. So I decides to try and see if I could pull them out while attached the valve cover. Knocked around the valve cover I guess loosened on up, so it did unscrew, but the second was stuck, just like yours.

I tried the usual progression, see if a posidrive grabs, it didn't. Moved on to cutting a slot with a dremel to try a flat blade, didn't work. Moved on to drill a hole in the top to use a easy-out. Didn't work.

After none of those working I had to resort to simply cutting the top off of the bolt with a dremel tool. Have to shave pieces off at different angles since it was hard to reach into the valve cover, but I got it pretty easy. I also convinced myself this area isn't very visible, so an accidental scratch or gouge from going to deep wouldn't be a big deal, these coolant pipes are cheap used online, and even if it came to cutting the entire ear off the coolant pipe, I could replace it and the tab is a bit superfluous anyhow.

The head of the bolt was the problem, there was plenty left over to grab and un-thread from the cover once removed, and it came out by hand. Hopefully after you cut it off getting the rest out of the cover won't be an issue, but at least with it off it is fairly easy to drill the remainder out.

EDIT:
If you are reading this thread and don't have this problem, make a point to replace these on your vulcan with regular hex heads before they get stuck!

#4 ·
I just did mine and had the same issue. I was able to get them loose using needle nose vice grips. I had to lock them on extremely tight so they wouldn't slip off of the head of the screw but it worked to break them free. Once you get them to break free initially they'll come out very easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.