Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Ignition switch broken, 5 wire.

97K views 129 replies 17 participants last post by  CRU 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan en500/ While doing some detailing I broke the ignition switch. I need the bike to run to get it moved to a friend's garage. Can anyone tell me the wiring diagram? I have blue, white, grey, red and brown.
Thanks.

#105 ·
Highly unlikely they would be bad unless physically damaged. I am concerned you were reading voltage on the ignition coil negative wires, as they are grounded by the igniter to fire the coils. When you do a voltage test on the coil red wires you should see battery voltage. You only have that when you disconnect the black wires. Is this correct?

#109 ·
With no wires disconnected, switch on, you should have batttery voltage on the red wire at each coil. Your meter negative lead at battery negative. If you were to press the start button while you have the meter leads connected you should see voltage fluctuation.

#111 ·
To test the pickups there is a small plug coming from the generator where they are mounted. It has 3 connectors in it. One of the terminals , the center has two wires, this is the common and where your negative lead will go. Meter in ohms position, probe the two outer connectors and compare the resistance. Should be around 380 to 560 ohms. There is also a voltage test we can do if outside of the resistance range.

#119 ·
Hello again Bandit101 . My message to u number 112 iwas asking about motor oil in the crankshaft case will that effect the crankshaft voltage ? i will be gone tell this evening ,If u could let me know that i can get it fixed ASAP if it does not then i will continue to trying to get spark at plugs .Thank u for helping . :biker2:

#125 ·
It is the crankshaft coming thru the case. It is supported by the main bearing. There is a gear that drives the camshaft chain, another gear that turns the engine counter balance, and finally the rotor with magnets that revolves around the stators to produce voltage for charging. It is held in place by a long bolt threaded into the crankshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.