Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vulcan 500 Mirrors...OEM are useless

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  xantonin 
#1 ·
Hi!

Help...I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody...hellllllp.....

I have a 2009 Vulcan 500. I'm having issues with the mirrors.

In order to see out of the left mirror I have to tuck in my elbow against me completely to see anything behind me. The right mirror is completely useless as it won't let me adjust it to tilt up (stuck or something). So I get a great view of the road by my back tire. ...yay....

But even if I was able to adjust the right mirror to match the left in visibility, I find it distracting to have to do that just so I can see behind me.

There is no more room to extend the mirrors out. I'm 5'6" about 145lbs. Average schmo-ette.

Advice on new mirrors that extend a bit out is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Bummer...wondering if your body is kinda on the wide side? My 96's mirrors are just ok, not great...I am just 36 inches around the waist...
I note there are adjustment nuts at the handlebar and I think up high as well...Might help if you tried to change how they are adjusted there..

#3 ·
wide?

Ummm, not sure how to reply to that...happy that that could be it and now know how to fix it or sad that that could be it?! I am 95% sure that that isn't the case. Honestly...average average here. Not too wide. ...or wide at all?!

Either way...I need to be able to see the crazy's behind me. Adjusting the one mirror that actually moves offers only minimal visibility. So I'd like to get another pair anyway. Recommendations?

#5 ·
eyeballs...starin at me

Thank you, Phreon. But...I still have a lame/broken mirror. I think I just need a new set of mirrors or a magic wand to fix the right one that's intent on keeping an eye on the ground. (but I'll keep the link, thank you)

#10 ·
Rusty memory here! Just looked and there are no screw adjustments on the OEM mirrors - was thinking of the Harley 'crap' mirrors the OEM(s) replaced. The WD should do the trick though.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm 6'0" 235lb and I can see well enough with the stock mirrors on my 2009 500, though I do wish they were just an inch farther out. I had to loosen the stalk where it mounts into the handle bars and turn them so they really stick straight out away from the bike, as opposed to the angle from the handlebars. That got them out a little more than they had been. Then the mirror heads look like they should slide out a little more on the stalks, that should get them where I want them, just haven't gotten that far yet. If that stuck one isn't simply stuck, then of course you'll need to replace it, but I would certainly try to disassemble and clean it before giving up on it.
As I haven't attempted it, I can only guess - perhaps "unscrewing" the entire mirror head will loosen the ball joint?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.