Turning off the. Bike - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by AZPoseur View Post
Didja ever notice how you look around to see how many noticed your dumb mistake? I have done it on the boat, on both bikes, and on tractors I would sometimes leave the PTO on as additional safety, then forget.

I leave things undone when starting, like putting on seatbelt in the car or putting on gloves on the bike. This helps make sure the oil circulates before I go anywhere and put strain on the engine. I learned many years ago to turn on the ignition, let it think a couple of seconds and then start. I wait for the noise to stop on the bike.

Does the elevation at the Grand Canyon make any difference? Or do you already live up that high?
I live just below 5000ft. Elevation was not an issue, I had just bumped the kill switch and failed to notice. By the way I spent the second night of last Springs "Grand Canyon trip" in Kingman. Stayed at the Best Western. I left early to beat the heat. I took a picture of the bike in front of the Big Old Locomotive you folks have parked down there, then followed Route 66 to to the Grand Canyon. That was the hot leg of the trip.

I guess I have strayed away from the context of this post abit. To tie back into the original context the bike started and stopped perfectly through a temperature range of below 32 in Utah to the high 90's in Nevada and Arizona on that 5 day run.

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
Sponsored Links
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by oquirrhvulcan View Post
To tie back into the original context the bike started and stopped perfectly through a temperature range of below 32 in Utah to the high 90's in Nevada and Arizona on that 5 day run.
High 90s? So it wasn't even hot when you were here. We moved here the last day of August 2011. By this year we were already getting used to the heat, to the point I ride my bicycle up that long hill right through the summer.

Did you get a chance to hike in the Grand Canyon? That is the real adventure, the farther down you go the hotter it gets. People die every year. My kids and I have been to the bottom twice. Preparation and common sense go a long ways, just as it does when riding a motorcycle.

The place to see is Supai Village and Havasu Canyon. It is a ten mile hike in but very worth it and worth the cost of admission. My older kids and I did that the end of April.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT, 2007 SeaRay 185, nine children, one wife.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Lifetime Premium
heres what i do, bike in nuetral, kick stand down, key off ... i never use the kill switch, for those who have been riding before electric starts were the norm .... try to push / bump start a bike with the kill switch off, right after you have spent the last half hour kick starting the crap out of it, kinda like turning the fuel petcock off to stop the motor from flooding while sitting ..... yep those were the days.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode