Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Drive Belt Replacement Question

32K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  gosupes 
#1 ·
Hello,
Has anyone replaced a belt on a VN900 classic LT?
I know the rear wheel would need removed.
My question is, can you replace it on the front pully without accessing the front pully? In other words do I need to remove the cover's etc., to get the belt around the front pully?
Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
When my belt (on my 2007 VN900 Custom) broke on Thanksgiving Day last year I found it to be a pretty straightforward job. It took about 3 hours (I had the bike only 1 week when the belt broke and had never worked on it before), and I didn't have to remove the swingarm completely; I just removed the main bolt, slipped the belt through the space, and re-bolted everything. Just use the manual and go slow. Good luck!

#5 ·
Thank you all for your reply. A little more involved than I want to tackle this weekend. The weather here in KY and into TN looks to good this weekend so I will ride instead. The current belt has around 70K miles on it and after heating up starts making noise rubbing on the rear pully. The adjustments are dead on, belt and tire aligned perfectly. I read that the belt can lose its adhesion properties over time with wear which I think is the problem. Plus after so many tire changes by service vendors who knows if they had bent the belt or something. I use a wax based lubricant which takes care of the noise for awhile. No big deal really but with 70K miles am afraid that the belt may decide to give someday so I purchased one and thought I would tackle the job myself. Looks like a winter job for sure.
Keep that shiny side up!

#6 · (Edited)
Don't worry about that pulley cover it's a piece of cake. Like the others said, it's the back end that's a pain in the rear! (no pun intended) I took my belt off to do another repair (worst part was, I ended up not needing to, doy!) I didn't take the swingarm off either, I was able to wiggle the belt off. Just slid the wheel forward, took the belt off the front pulley (takes 3 minutes to get those covers off I promise) then slid the wheel back and wiggled the belt out. Just make sure your new belt is set to the correct tension and the rear wheel is properly aligned per the service manual.

#7 ·
Wow, thanks so much for the info. Knowing that, I think I can tackle it pretty quick. I have gained expertise in adjusting the rear wheel and belt for sure so that should not be a issue. I have never removed the rear wheel before but it looks pretty straight forward in the manual. The manual says remove the muffler. I assume because you need to tilt the bottom of wheel to the right to remove it? Correct or did you not remove the muffler? Thanks again Romans5.8

#8 ·
I took the pipes off. Pretty easy. It's all one piece, just a few bolts. (I also replaced the nuts where it bolts to the motor with chrome ones, a little more flair!). Basically removing the pipes allows you to get a socket on the nut on the right side. You could use a box wrench and not remove the pipes though. But I do think removing the pipes will make your job easier.

#9 ·
I would assume the 900 rear fender comes off like the V2K's. When I do my rear tire changes I usually just pull the rear fender since it is held on by a few bolts and there is a plug in the wiring harness that disconnects the fender wiring from the rest of the bike. The only reason I do that is because I do not have a way to get the bike up high enough to get the tire out from under the bike with it on.

#10 ·
Thank you. Since the wheel bolt removes from the left I may try not taking the mufflers off at first. I have Cobras and they can be a pain, plus I would need to install new gaskets. I had to remove them once to install a new clutch kit. If it looks to a be issue, I sure will. Have a great weekend.

#11 ·
Thanks SWVA for the input. Just saw your post. It snuck in on me while I typing I think. Good point. I think the fender on the 900LT is a little more involved from what I can tell but I have not researched that yet. I have a MC lift so getting it high enough should not be issue in my case. The less I have to remove the better but will keep it in mind though!

#12 ·
I just looked at your pic and you have an LT so you have the bags and such to deal with too. 8 bolts and the plug and its off (other than the seat). I just can't bring my self to buy a MC jack. I use a regular floor jack and a 2x to lift it was and place plenty of wood block under the frame as I lift the bike. Not the smartest or safest way but it get the job done.

#13 ·
Yep, the bag hardware looks to be a pain to deal with. I got my lift from Harbor freight. I have a smaller one that I use for quick jobs like cleaning the bike, etc. You can get them pretty cheap on sale. Under a 100 bucks. My Girlfriend bought me a full size lift for a Chrismas gift a few years back. Nice for getting the bike eye level. At my age setting down while I work is a good thing. :)

#14 ·
Well, FridayI took off around noon to see if I could replace that belt. I pulled the covers off the left side to access the front pully. I then examined how the belt ran and like CrazyJ indicated it looks like you have to remove the swingarm. I am going to check the manual but I do not recall seeing that step. "Romans5.8" you said you wiggled it off. Can you explain your process in little more detail please? I cleaned a lot of dirt that I normally could not get to plus found my footboard bracket and pin rusting. Did some painting and lubing. I was afraid to tackle the swingarm and causing issues I could not recover from and miss riding Saturday and Sunday. We rode into Cookeville, TN., spent the night and rode back to Louisville, Ky the next day. 450 mile round trip. Had a great time and traveled some nice roads. Another day to tackle replacing that belt. Oh, I noticed a plastic wedge shape piece in the top of the pulley cover. It looks like th belt has been rubbing on it because it looked worn. I am wondering if I should replace it and what its purpose is?
Thanks and have a great Tuesday the 13th.

#15 ·
Well, FridayI took off around noon to see if I could replace that belt. I pulled the covers off the left side to access the front pully. I then examined how the belt ran and like CrazyJ indicated it looks like you have to remove the swingarm. I am going to check the manual but I do not recall seeing that step. "Romans5.8" you said you wiggled it off. Can you explain your process in little more detail please? I cleaned a lot of dirt that I normally could not get to plus found my footboard bracket and pin rusting. Did some painting and lubing. I was afraid to tackle the swingarm and causing issues I could not recover from and miss riding Saturday and Sunday. We rode into Cookeville, TN., spent the night and rode back to Louisville, Ky the next day. 450 mile round trip. Had a great time and traveled some nice roads. Another day to tackle replacing that belt. Oh, I noticed a plastic wedge shape piece in the top of the pulley cover. It looks like th belt has been rubbing on it because it looked worn. I am wondering if I should replace it and what its purpose is?
Thanks and have a great Tuesday the 13th.
It is there to rub the belt and keep the pulley area clean. I had to take mine off and clean it once because I got a rock stuck in it and it rubbed a small groove in my belt. As long as it is making contact with your belt when it is assembled it is ok. I do not know if they wear out or not as I only have close to 6K on it.

#18 ·
Thanks for the replys. I looked up removing the swing arm in the manual and it said remove the tie rod bolt and the upper and lower shock bolt also? I like the idea of removing it like pacomutt indicated so I think I will so I can lube it up with fresh grease. Is it hard to get back together after removing it? Any tips to make it go smoothly?

#19 ·
Hi Vulcar, Wondering what the outcome was on your belt replacement? I swapped mine and began thinking about the wear on the front pulley. I wonder if they have a finite lifespan? I replaced that lock washer under the bolt on the front pulley as recommended and torqued it to spec and after 4000 miles the belt began making some noise. I removed the front covers and found the pulley had loosened a bit so I bent back the washer and removed the pulley it felt sloppy on the shaft so I replaced it with a Scootworks overdrive pulley that also slid on the shaft real easy. Retorqued and locked the washer on again and 2000 miles later again had to retighten the bolt. I'm wondering if I should of used some spline lock on the shaft.

#20 ·
Hello RoyVN900. I have not changed the belt yet because of the nice weekend weather we have been having here in the Bluegrass. I think when I do, I will take advantage of removing the swing arm and doing work on it also. I have almost 70K miles and trying to insure I check things out before I have issues. It will be a winter project for sure when I know I can have it down for a few weeks or more if I need the time. As far as the the front pulley, not sure it would go bad from belt wear alone. If a rock or something got into it then I could see it being damaged. I have not investigated removing the pulley or if it has a spline. How did you know it was loose? Did you have to use the tool they have or did you use another method to hold the pulley while you loosened the nut? One last question. Did you like the scootworks Pulley?

#22 ·
Hello Patrick, I have had to replace mine once around 20K. I think perhaps I was the one that caused the failer. I tried hooking up an alarm system and use the running lights as flashers. I hooked up the system incorrectly and caused the stator to fail I am sure. Thankfully they replaced it under warranty. Gave me the benifit of doubt p;lus I was in good with my dealer. When it failed I lost power and the bike would not run at all after the battery died.

#24 ·
There is a Stator thread in this forum. Just keep up the maintenance and hopefully you will enjoy many miles. I love my 900!

#25 ·
Belt Replacement/Those who have done this please post

Hey Folks, I am writing to let you know that I am having to replace the belt drive on my 900. It should be here on this Tuesday. Anyone who has done this job please hit me back with feedback. I've watched Youtube, looks like I should be able to do it but I'm nervous about doing this myself. Let me know please

#26 ·
Hi Irish,

Do take a good look at your Drive and Driven Pulleys and see if you want to replace them. Worn or chewed up pulleys will shorten the life of a new belt dramatically. What did you pay for a new belt? I bought a new belt a couple of years ago and it cost me almost $400.00 then, have they come down any?

#27 ·
I searched the threads and found someone online. It should arrive tomorrow. I will check all those parts you spoke of in detail. I'm thinking of riding this season and either sell it or trade her in for a new machine. Yea the price is wicked high Royvn900 but was able to find one much cheaper on the internet. I hope it works as I miss riding especially since the weather in the bluegrass is getting nice.

#28 · (Edited)
My 900 is a 2007 classic LT. Belt part no. 59011-0013. I read somewhere that part no. was discontinued and replaced with 59011-0021. Same no. of teeth. Super expensive. A shy under 400 most places online except I found one at partzilla for $285. Have any of you bought from them before? Anyone know of where I can find a better price than $285? Sounds steep just for a belt!

#30 ·
My 900 is a 2007 classic LT. OEM belt part no. 59011-0013 is discontinued and replaced with 59011-0021. However the WIDTH of the new belt is an 1\8th of an inch smaller. Has anyone replaced their belt with the new and if so, is the smaller width an issue? A guy posted a video on youtube indicating the part number change. [ame]https://youtu.be/5sPnjslQBD8?t=307[/ame]
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.