Need Help Please-issue with turn signals - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Need Help Please-issue with turn signals

So here is my problem, replaced stock turn signals with a great looking chrome bullet. All my lights, 2 spotlights, headlamp and running turns work up front. I blew something on the bike and replaced the appropriate fuses. My rear turn lamps will not work nor will the front ones either. Meaning, they will not blink. I have checked fuses, connections under seat, and lamps. They all look good. I'm replacing lamps even though the filaments look good. I replace the turn signal relay with 25 amp two plug automotive so please jump in. It should be noted that my red tail light works along with the license plate light? crazy

2008 Vulcan 900 LT From the Bluegrass State
USAF 85-89
Patriot Guard
Rolling Thunder 2011

Be Irish or Go HOME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Garage
My guess would be that the replacement flasher you used is not compatible or perhaps the switch at the bars? I'm no motorcycle tech, though.

2013 HD Super Glide Custom
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Do they light up and just dont flash, or do they not light at all? If they all light when you turn on the signal, guess either wrong or bad flasher. sometimes even new can be defective. If they are lighting, is it the bright side if a 2 filiment bulb?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Also, if the new signals are LEDs, you need a specific flasher for those, or load equalizers on them. A standard flashing will think the bulbs are blown.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Garage
I would also recheck the connection to the lights, especially the grounds.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 VN800B
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes the front two light up, these are the ones from ebay, nice bullet style. the stock rear turns don't flash and I replaced the bulbs and cleaned the switch on handlebar with cleaner, making sure contact was good. I have three wires coming out of the front, two wires are designated flash and running, I have my ground and not sure where is goes. I've tried to ground it to the chrome housing in between the nut and bolt, but still no difference. I install a heavy duty 25 amp relay (automotive) and it didn't flash either? Thanks for the help

2008 Vulcan 900 LT From the Bluegrass State
USAF 85-89
Patriot Guard
Rolling Thunder 2011

Be Irish or Go HOME
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Top Contributor

You say "bulbs". Are they LED or standard?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Garage
Did you cut the wires to install them? If you have the wires hooked up backwards they may not flash. I checked as I wired them up before I made the permanent connections when I put LED's on the back. I wired the first one backward and when I checked it it did not flash. Switched the wires around (I mean hot and ground - not left and right signal wires) and they flashed.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Be careful with the wiring for turn signals. I once hooked up an alarm to get the turn signal lights to flash when armed, etc. The problem was I hooked them up backwards and burnt out my stator which had to be replaced. Expensive mistake to say the least.
Like a earlier post suggested be sure you are not mixing LED's and bulbs without proper loads.
Have you tried measuring any voltages?
Good luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Garage
If anybody is switching to LED's this http://www.customled.com/products/fl...youtRegion1LYR
electronic relay is a plug and play replacement for the OEM one. Worked great for me.

Last edited by Infinite_Day; 11-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode