Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

900 classic Lt. Owner's HELP Please

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Vulcar 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I have a 08 9 clsc. lt. with the orig. factory windshield. I get so much wind and rain blowing in on my back, and when raining it blows on the backside of the windshield (bad)...Will putting lowers on her stop all this blowback?...Thanks, and Ride Safe

#2 ·
Back splash

Lowers won't stop it all, but it will drastically reduce it. I only have a sport shield on my 9 so I get the same thing but I bought a cheap set of plastic lowers and it stopped all of the bottom blast and made kind of a "bubble" around my face and chest. On my V2K, the bottom blast was so powerful at speed that it lifted the glasses and helmet off. I didn't want to put plastic lowers on it so I found a set of long chrome lowers off of a HD Soft-tail that have roughly the same mounting holes. The difference on the big bike is incredible. I can even hear the 2up when she squeeks....:eek:

#3 ·
+1 to what was said above!

What you are experiencing is high speed air moving around the windshield and finding dead air around it. The lowers help 'direct' the flow of air to reduce this behind-shield turbulence.

You're not gonna be dry on a motorcycle in the rain. But the lowers will help reduce the 'up spray'

#4 · (Edited)
You have an LT which has crash bars on it I expect. If you do, try a set of highway bar chaps. Those help a lot. Again, you're not going to stay dry, but you'll get less rain and a whole lot less wind coming back on you with the bar chaps.

#5 ·
You have an LT which had crash bars in it I expect. If you do, try a set of highway bar chaps. Those help a lot. Again, you're not going to stay dry, but you'll get less rain and a whole lot less wind coming back on you with the bar chaps.
The LT doesn't include highway bars stock BUT, if he does have them that's a good idea! I need to get me some for mine, now that it's cold out!

#11 · (Edited)
I did it all in pieces. It's paramount that you first set your windshield to the right level. I have it so when I sit staright I just see over the shield. Slouch a bit and I'm under. No rain / wind to the back. (On a side note - If you've driven at night in the rain you want to be able to see over the shield cause the on-coming car lights rearly play havoc on the water dropplets clinging to the shield). With this alone I substantially reduced the wind/water affect.

Second I intalled Wind lowers. They helped alot in diverting wind blast and buffetting.

Third I added the enging guard "chaps". This help greatly as well.

All three together are great. Very little wind/rain. Things behind the shield, lowers and chaps are very dry, smooth and comfortable.

Having said all that...there are days when mother natures side winds and speeds take on a life of there own. But all in all, works great.

PS - aside from the mods, things as good helmet, clothing, etc... go without saying.

#13 ·
Memphis Shade

I put the Memphis shade with the 9 inch windshield on and it seems to work very well. Here are a few pics. I had to modify the mounting hardware because it was for 900 Custom and at the time could not locate hardware for the Classic LT. Works great though.

Attachments

#15 ·
I hope Kennyg don't mind. Look up RC Components on the web. http://www.rccomponents.com/. From there you can choose your wheel and where a Bike shop near you can order them for you. I got the Nitro version because they are easy to keep clean and also looked beefy. They do not make a stock size rear wheel of 180/70-15 so had to go with a 180/70-16. It fits fine. Had to get the rear pully and front disc to complete. I am very pleased with the outcome. Was not cheap however. Around a 3K upgrade installed but i plan on keeping the bike. It fits like a glove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.